Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Share |

Do I need to get tempered windows?

I'm re-doing this house to sell, this window is near a door. The old one was not tempered, but I don't want any issues with the home inspector when I sell.

And these two full length windows are on each side of the 80" sliding door..

aminus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #2

Yes, all 3 should have been tempered.

CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #3

Do home inspectors make a big deal of this during the sale? I'm almost done with this house (painting today)..

Do you advise ripping out the windows and filling up the wall, or ordering tempered glass?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

This is the house remodel..

1960s South Bay House Remodel

Last edited by aminus21; 07-24-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #5

Yes they will make a big deal about it. Because you are in California anytime you pull the frames of the old windows you have to pull a permit. And any time you add a new window you have to pull a permit. And any time you pull permits they look for things such as tempered glass. So.. You're answer from me is yes you should replace with the proper glass. Maybe someone else will have a different suggestion but I doubt it...
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #6

Generally speaking the window does not require to be tempered unless the window is replaced and it is 24 inches from the door jamb. So is the window original? Was it replaced in the past when you were living in the home? If you answered yes to having it replaced by you or you intend to have it replaced prior to the sale and it is within 24 inches from the jamb then tempered glass is required. If the window is not within 24-inches from the jamb but you are in a specific fire zone location, then the local authority for permitting may require one of 2 panes (double pane window) to be tempered. You have to check with your local building permit center. If the window is within 18 inches of the door jamb and you intend on replacing the window then you have to have dual tempered glass.

Last edited by Shuriko; 07-25-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Edited original offset.
Shuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #7

Both of the single hung windows next to the 32" door have been replaced with dual-pane Milguard windows.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
JOATMON

The tempered glass will also need a label on it to say it's tempered. It's usually sand blasted in during the tempering process.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #9

It just occured to me you wrote home inspector. You are refering to the buyer's inspector or building inspector? Buyer's inspector may note that the window is non-tempered (if required) but the purchaser may be willing to waive the requirement.

Does the City/building department require a certificate of occupancy? If so this is where you are more than likely to get nab.

I did not see the picture of the windows next to the sliding glass. Those, if new or replaced by you, require double pane tempered glass. The size, location, and the fact it is less than 18-inches off the floor triggers the requirement.
Shuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Here is part of the CRC 2010 as regards the windows.

Quote:
R308.4 Hazardous locations. The following shall be considered specific hazardous locations for the purposes of glazing:

1. Glazing in all fixed and operable panels of swinging, sliding and bifold doors.

Exceptions: 1. Glazed openings of a size through which a 3-inch diameter (76 mm) sphere is unable to pass. 2. Decorative glazing. 2. Glazing in an individual fixed or operable panel adjacent to a door where the nearest vertical edge is within a 24-inch (610 mm) arc of the door in a closed position and whose bottom edge is less than 60 inches (1524 mm) above the floor or walking surface.
Looks like in needs to be tempered in your situation.

Andy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (07-25-2012), mae-ling (07-25-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuriko View Post
It just occured to me you wrote home inspector. You are refering to the buyer's inspector or building inspector? Buyer's inspector may note that the window is non-tempered (if required) but the purchaser may be willing to waive the requirement.

Does the City/building department require a certificate of occupancy? If so this is where you are more than likely to get nab.

I did not see the picture of the windows next to the sliding glass. Those, if new or replaced by you, require double pane tempered glass. The size, location, and the fact it is less than 18-inches off the floor triggers the requirement.
I'm referring to buyer's inspector. Thanks for the info everyone.