Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Do I need an architect

I have recently moved into a new home which we would like to remodel...work would include knocking down a wall between kichen and existing TV room to create a large kitchen/breakfast/utility/Tv room and also convert a garage to a play room.

I doubt that I need planning for the internal work only so do I really need an architect?

They are looking to charge 1.5k - 2.5k+ for a basic CAD plan - happy to pay for it if I get the "why didn't I think of that"

Interested in others views

wisenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Do I need an architect

I would say it depends on how confident you are that you could do it/plan it yourself. If it's a non-load bearing wall, then it's just a matter of knocking out the wall, and nothing structural.

I've done a lot of remodeling in our house, and for most things, it really comes down to doing a lot of reading on your own time and thinking about what exactly you want. An architect/designer isn't going to be able to figure out what you want. By taking your time and coming up with a plan yourself, you can be sure you'll be able to incorporate everything you want/have things just the way you want it. You can also ask friends/get opinions from many people to try and come up with a cohesive design. Of course, if you're adding/moving plumbing/electrical/etc, it will require some knowledge of what can go where and things can be routed.

If you're interested in creating a layout on your own, check out google sketchup. I've found it very handy for coming up with a design. It doesn't have a steep learning curve and it's free.

NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,016

Do I need an architect

check with your building official and find out if you would need a building permit, and if so, what would they require to be submitted.

The word "architect" means a person that is licensed to practice architecture. There are some people that perform residential design, however these people are not architects. Find out which they are ....

what needs to be determined is if the wall between the kitchen and tv room is a load bearing wall or not. if so, what size beam would be needed to support the load. is this a one story or two story home?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #4

Do I need an architect

thanks for the responses and will definitely look at google sketchup.

The wall is a load bearing wall and will need a structural engineer.

All the architects that quoted are RIBA accredited.

I know what I want to do to the house and begrudge eating into our budget for a basic plan. If, on the other hand, the architect recommends a few ideas that changes the whole outlook then it will be money well spent. Problem is, I won't know this until I've agreed to use them
Old 06-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Do I need an architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisenno View Post

All the architects that quoted are RIBA accredited.
Wisenno, are you UK based?
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #6

Do I need an architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g View Post
Wisenno, are you UK based?
I am...
Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

Do I need an architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisenno View Post
I am...
In that case, you don't need planning permission, just Building Control.
Don't waste 1.5- 2.5K on an architect for 'basic' cad drawings. It's your home, you live in it and you know what you want to do with it.
What you would need is a local SE to confirm whether or not the wall is loadbearing and, if so, do the necessary calcs for the steel beam and padstones.
If you employeed an RIBA, they would not be able to do the structural calcs, and you would still need to engage a SE.
The council would not need drawings for this (use the Building Notice proceedure), all they would be likely to need are the engineer's calcs.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #8

Do I need an architect

Quote:
In that case, you don't need planning permission, just Building Control.
Don't waste 1.5- 2.5K on an architect for 'basic' cad drawings. It's your home, you live in it and you know what you want to do with it.
What you would need is a local SE to confirm whether or not the wall is loadbearing and, if so, do the necessary calcs for the steel beam and padstones.
If you employeed an RIBA, they would not be able to do the structural calcs, and you would still need to engage a SE.
The council would not need drawings for this (use the Building Notice proceedure), all they would be likely to need are the engineer's calcs.
wise words...thank you for confirming my thoughts
Old 06-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Architect

Rewards Points: 150

Do I need an architect

It important to remember that an Architect isn't trained solely to "CAD plans", meaning draw up the instructions for the implementation of the project. This is of course one of the services that they provide, and traditionally the only portion of the project that most contractors see.

The larger and fundamental solution that architects provide is design. Meaning, they meet with you to establish your project goals and then utilize their experience, education, and knowledge of construction to design a solution that fits your desires. You are right that an architect may present ideas or even challenge yours based upon these experiences, ultimately finalizing a design that satisfies the client.

I agree with many here that simply taking down a non-load bearing wall and some minor adjustments to interior finishes may be more suitable to an interior designer or even a handy homeowner. If you are unsure of your abilities in these regards, an architect does ultimately provide a value added benefit to a project beyond that of just drawing up the plans.

-Jake
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Newbie Bill

Do I need an architect

I'll second the interior designer.

We used a designer for our renovation and the one wall she INSISTED we take down was only a small one in our bathroom. I sure am glad we listened to her.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #11

Do I need an architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
experience, education, and knowledge of construction
Sometimes, all this doesn't add up to much. We all (as well as architects) have experience of living in houses. With regards construction, I have come across architects whose knowledge in this area was dismal.

I'm not criticising the profession as such; I also trained as an architect many moons ago. For years though, I have made my living doing more practical things, including designing out structural problems which some architects create.

1.5 to 2.5 seems a lot of money for advice on taking out a wall and I'm sure the OP would consider the money better spent elswhere.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Architect

Rewards Points: 150

Do I need an architect

Quote:
Sometimes, all this doesn't add up to much. We all (as well as architects) have experience of living in houses. With regards construction, I have come across architects whose knowledge in this area was dismal.

I'm not criticising the profession as such; I also trained as an architect many moons ago. For years though, I have made my living doing more practical things, including designing out structural problems which some architects create.

1.5 to 2.5 seems a lot of money for advice on taking out a wall and I'm sure the OP would consider the money better spent elswhere.
I am surprised you are able to come to that conclusion based upon the information contained in this post.

I am not here to justify the Architectural professional to builders and contractors, and I can likewise point to many instances of building issues and problems caused by other professions due to lack of oversight from a construction professional.

None the less. There are simply some people who fail to understand and appreciate the profession. I am not going to try and change your mind, nor do I care to justify our contribution to the system.

My purpose here is to help those with questions or looking for advice.

Have a great day.

jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote