Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Do I need to add insulation to this attic? ( with pics )

I'm wondering if I need to do anything with the insulation situation in our attic. We just had the roof done and I'm not sure if I need to add more insulation, or replace what we already have. I've included pictures in the hopes that someone will know if the current insulation situation is OK:

The house is in northern Massachusetts which is a balmy 9 degrees right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I'm to buy insulation I'd like to do so before year end for the tax credit.

Thanks!

TjbDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

"Couldn't Hoit! woowoowoowoowoo!"

seriously, i'd add as much as you can if you don't use the space as storage.

DM

Old 12-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Would it be better to pull up the fiberglass, and staple in a thick vapor barrier first?
(I was thinking this might allow replacing the ceiling drywall without everything crashing down.)

Then blow in cellulous on top?
Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjbDIY View Post
I'm wondering if I need to do anything with the insulation situation in our attic. We just had the roof done and I'm not sure if I need to add more insulation, or replace what we already have.
How thick is it?

Based on the picture you don't need to replace what's there, but you might need to add more. The minimum you should consider is R-38, which will be 12 inches thick.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #5

This should get you started: http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/...on/ins_06.html

Read about ventilation and air-sealing, too. Got raccoons? Work around that site for your location requirements.
In the picture, the metal shield around the wood stove flue pipe is for stopping insulation. Notice how high it is?

Be safe, Gary
Old 12-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

Gary, thanks for the link, it's filed. "TjbDIY"-IMO--I would add insulation over the existing insulation as has been stated. I found it interesting that after reading the link from Gary, there was a recommendation in it that if more insulation is added, it should be un-faced and ran perpendicular to the rafters. I had a local power company (Georgia Power) Energy Auditor do an inspection of my home some years back, and this is how he recommended adding additional insulation. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #7

Vapor barrier must be continous, I would not bother pulling all that up
I would seal around any light or other penetration into the attic
Yup, perpindicular is the way to do it

The TAX Credit is good thru end of 2010, MAX $1500 Tax credit (all together) on insulation, doors, windows plus more

I'd add thickest insulation I can find unfaced on top of that - R30 if you can find it

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yes - you want to have about 12" or R38 or so.

I recently had insulation blown in added to my house. Price doing it yourself vs. hiring it done. I had a company do it for with $100 of what I could DIY (getting a loaner machine from a big box store, the insulation, a helper) - not worth doing it myself, IMHO. And the company did it quick (couple hours, 2 guys with a big truck mounted blower) and very well.

The house is noticably more comfortable now - both heat and a/c run less.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Doesn't look like enough insulation for me - but I'm not paying for your heat. yes, add unfaced batts or rolls of fibreglass, another 6" perpendicular to the existing. Fluff up the existing so there are no air voids. Seal all around openings and check the status of your vapour retarder.

Vapour management in our climate is as important as the insulation work.

Ventilation is too up there, so report back on the soffit situation and any vents you may have in the roof.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

First of all, the insulation you have there seems inadequate as far as installed R-value. Even more so, what insulation you do have up there seems to have a lot of compressed areas, gaps and so on. Grade III for sure.

I second ccarlisle's response. You don't want air pockets in between the old and new. If you look at that picture a few posts up, the new batts that were being added looked great, but the air pockets in between the old and the new in that picture are plenty to allow air infiltration through the fiberglass and rob it of any good it can do. I personally don't prefer batts over batts for that reason and I think any type of blown-in insulation would give you a higher grade and integrity of insulation.

Energyrater is offline   Reply With Quote