Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Share |

do I have to use cripple studs

We are building a garage door header in the opening to or daylight basement. THe way the wall is I'm only gonna have a 6' opening in the garge door with a 5' cripple stud. The house is gonna be 2 story with an attic. so it will end up being a load bearing wall so is it possible to just make the 2x12 header and attach it the top base plate without using cripple studs or do you have to use a cripple stud?

ashby316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

There is no code requirement that I am aware of to use cripple studs if they are not needed. I put in two headers in my house, both are steel beams, neither has any cripple studs as the headers are tight against the existing wood double top plate. Or maybe I misunderstood your question?

In any case, you should check with local code official if a door less than 6 feet tall is acceptable, it certainly would not be where I live. Also, how did you size your header as a 2x12? Are you certain it is adequate?

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ashby316 (10-26-2012), mae-ling (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #3

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
There is no code requirement that I am aware of to use cripple studs if they are not needed. I put in two headers in my house, both are steel beams, neither has any cripple studs as the headers are tight against the existing wood double top plate. Or maybe I misunderstood your question?

In any case, you should check with local code official if a door less than 6 feet tall is acceptable, it certainly would not be where I live. Also, how did you size your header as a 2x12? Are you certain it is adequate?
I'm Sorry I meant that I am using a 2x 11 1/4 header. The rough opening to the door is 6 ft with 5 inch cripple stud. So if my wooden headers are 2x11 1/4 do I still have to use a cripple stud if i put it flush with the double top plate. even though its load bearing cause if i don't then i will be able to have a bigger door. I'm not to keen on wanting a 6ft rough opening for a garage door.
ashby316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #4

a 6-foot high garage door?????

do you have any photos?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #5

A 6' tall garage door? that is unusual, but the question is must you use cripple studs above the header and below the plate. The answer is no, and I have often oversized the header or packed a 2 X 4 or two above, and below, the header to avoid the use of cripples as I believe it makes for a better structure.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote