Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Do All Concrete Floors have to have wire mesh?

Our general contractor charged us extra for chainlink fence that he bought at our request to embed in the cement floor when poured because we have had problems with groundhogs digging through the old cement floor in the barn and garage. Now I'm hearing that all cement floors are supposed to have a wire mesh in them anyway. So, that is the typical thing? This is for an addition to a home with a 2' 2" crawlspace. What is the story here? (We've already gotten screwed by this contractor. I'm just wondering if we are even more screwed than we thought.)

arobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #2

I should add...he said we didn't need wire in the concrete at all but if we really wanted it he could use chicken wire. But we insisted on something really tough and he decided on chainlink.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,390

imo, you did get sc***ed i would've picked the vinyl-coated chain link so it wouldn't rust & stain the conc from the inside out had you used 5,0000psi conc, that would've been waterproof according to aci,,,
the fact he didn't try to talk you our of the wire is testament to his good sense even tho there is welded-wire mesh specifically made for concrete probably at 20% of the price you paid however YOU ordered the chain link,,, next time be quiet & listen to him.

wire mesh ONLY adds strength while the conc's in tension as it cures,,, once cured, it holds broken pieces together,,, we rarely use it unless our engineer's insistent - usually they'll listen to reason,,, we prefer to cut jnts properly so it won't randomly crack.

since you have such aggressive woodchucks, the higher-than-normal strength conc would've also been a deterrent to their intrusive behavior

ps - he ws right - you didn't need wire stop watching tv,,, did you REALLY think woodchucks can chew thru conc ? ? ? howzabout garlic nectar [ ONLY IN GLASS JARS ] for the vampires ? ? ? or was that for the were-wolves ? ? ? my bride, nagzilla, informs me that its some kind of root,,, thanks for the laugh - needed something like that this afternoon
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have seen varmits work their way up though concrete that was thin, broken and badly deteriorating. But not through sound concrete - any varmit that could do would scare the heck out of me!
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #5

Ha! Don't know what to tell you. We've been trapping and poisoning woodchucks who have very active holes in the barn and garage concrete. Sure, it is OLD concrete, and maybe that is why it was easier for them. We've lived here since 1975 and it is an annual war ... us and the woodchucks. All the farmers around here say the same...don't let them near your foundation. We thought we'd try some preventative measures, especially since one of their long established runs went through the place the addition was built. Apparently they were thwarted because the next season they added a new hole in the flower garden nearby and in the yard nearby. I should take pics of the concrete and figure out how to show you. I swear I 'm not out of my mind. We have three live traps and they have significantly bent the wires when trying to get out...really tough teeth!

By the way...we don't watch TV, never have had one, so that can't be blamed.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you sure they are woodchucks & not badgers ??
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #7

Oh, and actually, HE ordered the chainlink. WE didn't. Welded wire mesh would have suited us just fine. But he said he was going to use chicken wire at first (see above) and that didn't seem right to us so we insisted on something more substantial. We didn't say what (not knowing), and he said he'd "find something good" and bought chainlink. Had he brought welded wire, that would have been just great. I don't know why he didn't think of welded wire. It is certainly more substantial than chicken wire. If we had known about welded wire we would have asked for that. But we only knew we didn't want chicken wire and didn't know what other alternatives there were for concrete. We trusted him to know that stuff.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #8

I am ignorant about lots of things but I do know they are woodchucks and not badgers. lol
Old 07-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

wow I would have figured they used rebar arrays, not chainlink. The whole idea is a solid non moving reinforcement.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #10

Yeah - chain link moves, so not sure how well that will work
Need a concrete person for input
Old 07-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Yeah - chain link moves, so not sure how well that will work
Need a concrete person for input
they aren't using it for concrete reinforcement. They are using it for a barrier to the chucks. I suspect it will be quite successful at that.

I'll leave the need for reinforcement such as welded wire or poly to the pro's.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:25 PM   #12

Ah, well in that case you can always PU old chain link off criagslist for free
I'd never pay for new stuff simply to bury it under concrete
Old 07-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Wire mesh is not absolutely necessary. they don't normally use it in garages(house). That's what the cuts in the floor are for. for something like a basement I would want to use itbut if your talking about a concrete floor in a crawl space I wouldn' worry about it. Unless the mesh is real close to the surface I wouldn't worry aout rust. There are never that many problems with mesh and rebar which can both rust.
joel v. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,390

that part about rusting inside-out was also tongue-in-cheek, too, joel still wouldda pick'd 3,500psi conc @ 4" slump,,, as mention'd earlier, mesh wasn't/isn't for strength but ' 'chuck barrier ',,, at least the contractor didn't suggest stainless-steel mesh for any addl profits btw, rebar doesn't add compressive strength to conc.

could those intruders be badgers ? ? ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Badgers!!! Oh no, not badgers!!

nap is offline   Reply With Quote