Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

DIY steps and sidewalk book/video referral

Hello, I have removed my front steps, landing and some sidewalk and a set of three steps leading down to my driveway in front of my house and I needed some referrals on some DIY books and videos on building forms and sidewalks. I have searched YouTube ect. and cant really find anything other than books/video for big jobs ect. and not for the DIY enthusiast.

Thanks,
Chad

oxicottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 64

Instead of pouring concrete, why not do something different, such as using tumbled stone paver's, or solid slab granite or the such. Set your house off from the others, instead of looking like the same.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

I thought about it... Any book ideas? Thanks!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxicottin View Post
I thought about it... Any book ideas? Thanks!
There are plenty of books out there, and I am sure if you drove around your city, especially in the older parts, you will find plenty of examples of making a better step, than some poured set that looks drab. I will give you a clue, there is a min for rise & run, and if you are good at math, I am sure that you can figure it out with the height you have to go from to, by taking the height divided by the number of steps for the rise. Run can be as long as you want it, but is limited in how short it can be.

This will explain it better, http://www.sizes.com/home/stairs.htm
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 01-01-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #5

Yes I read all about the run and rise and understand it completely I was actually just stuck on the frames for steps. If I wanted concrete sides and didn't know how to do that, I keep looking. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxicottin View Post
Yes I read all about the run and rise and understand it completely I was actually just stuck on the frames for steps. If I wanted concrete sides and didn't know how to do that, I keep looking. Thanks for the help!
Frames are just sections of 1x6 held in place with stakes. Not rocket science. You do have to do the math, and may have to rip some down, or use 1/2 or 5/8 plywood. The choice is your's, but it is not that hard to do.

Carpenter's square or speed square, a pencil and a scrap piece of wood to do the math on, not that hard.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
oxicottin (01-01-2012)