Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #1

Share |

Diy spray foam insualtion kits ??

Has anyone on here used spray foam insulation kits to insulate walls while they are under construction or opened up?

I am redoing an old farmhouse and want to get it as airtight as possible using spray foam in rooms that are getting stripped down to the studs.

I work on things at my own pace and it is pretty sporadic and hard to schedule contractors around my schedule so I like to do everything myself.

Anyone have pointers or suppliers for DIY spray foam kits?

What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #2

You can order two part systems online. The Tiger-Foam and Handi-foam seem to run around $1 a board foot in the 600 bf kits. If you're looking for larger quantities the fastkick gun systems can get down to .50 a board foot for the larger kits. Just use google or ebay to search for the kits.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I would use a pro. The equipment for this heats the materials, has digital controls to control flow and proportions, and mixes finally at the head. It is beyond most DIYers. If you are patient, you can usually get an insulator out to do small jobs on the tail end of something else bigger in the neighborhood. The DIY stuff gets really expensive fast too.

What about something other than foam?

Last edited by user1007; 12-14-2009 at 06:47 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
the Musigician

i've been razoring out sheet foam for my bays and where i screw up a little, i use GS Foam to fill in larger gaps, or caulk for smaller ones. when i finish the walls inside, i'll add 6" fiberglass batt.

DM