Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Share |
Default

DIY Home Improvement Questions


Hi friends, I am currently a student at SIU Carbondale working on designing a handheld power tool for building decks. I i have some questions power tool users and I was wondering if you gentlemen and ladies could help me. Thank you very much. How about this oh'Mike?

1. 1. Where do you usually shop for power tools?

Big box home centers
Online
Retailers
Speciality hardware stores

2. 2. On average, how often do you use power tools?

A few times a year
1-2 times a month
3-6 times a month
More than 7 times a month

3.3Installing accessories and fixtures
Basic home remodeling
Advanced home remodeling
Household repairs/maintenance/upgrades
Other (please specify)

4. 4. On average, how many tools do you for a project such as building a deck?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16 and more


5. What types of tools do you usually use for DIY projects?
Manual tools such as hammers, pliers, wrenches, screw drivers etc
Stationary power tools such as table saw, band saw etc
Portable power tools such as drills, jigsaws, grinder etc

6. What primary features do you look for when purchasing tools?
Price
Size
Weight(based on intended use)
Balance
Power source
Ergonomics
other

7. Would you consider buying a multi-function tool for drilling holes (in metal wood and concrete) , driving screws and for driving large bolts and nuts. Why?

8. If you were buying a multi-function tool for drilling holes (in metal, wood and concrete), driving screws and for driving large bolts and nuts, What would you primarily use the tool for?

Drilling holes
Driving crews
Driving large bolts and buts

9.9. Overall, are you satisfied with your experience with power tools?


Last edited by kwapps; 02-07-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: against posting rules
kwapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 492
Default

DIY Home Improvement Questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwapps View Post
I was wondering if you gentlemen could help me.
Don't forget the ladies also.

B

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,290
Default

DIY Home Improvement Questions


Young person---Sorry but data mining our members is against the house rules----


Ask questions here and we may or may not allow it---but don't ask our members to leave the site--Mike--Moderator---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,290
Default

DIY Home Improvement Questions


As a pro I look for tools that perform a task efficiently at a cost that justifies the purchase.

As to tools that drill holes and drive fasteners----
A battery powered drill or battery powered hammer drill gets the most use---

However---A corded drill is what I break out for a major job like drilling holes for plumbing pipe--

Also specialty tools like corded impact guns for lag screws or a dedicated gun for deck screws or drywall screws pays for itself quickly by doing a better job faster---

Multi use tools are usually a slower tool than a dedicated one--so if the days work requires a lot of one type of work--the exact tool that is best for the job is pulled out---

Lots of odd jobs---better to use a multipurpose tool and save the time needed to set up a lot of specialty tools---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Retired carpenter
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 303
Default

DIY Home Improvement Questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwapps View Post
7. Would you consider buying a multi-function tool for drilling holes (in metal wood and concrete) , driving screws and for driving large bolts and nuts. Why?
Any drill for concrete worth its salt is too heavy for driving a lot of screws and drilling lots of holes on wood.

A deck builder would not consider buying that multi-function tool.

A home owner who is going to build a deck would buy a $15 corded drill for holes and screws, a wrench for a few lag screws, and would rent a big rotohammer for the concrete.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Member
 
AGWhitehouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,378
Default

DIY Home Improvement Questions


The above two posts cover it all pretty well. As Oh'mike stated, multi-use tools have a limited usage rate for professionals. As for homeowners, price rules the day on multi-use stuff. And, in my experience, most multi-use tools are designed/priced more to sell than to last. Because of that, I tend to either buy or rent the right tools for the job, and leave the multi-use stuff to the gullible consumers.
__________________
Life's too short...so enjoy it!
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
Stuck in the 70's
 
Blondesense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: south central Missouri
Posts: 2,124
Default

DIY Home Improvement Questions


I think you need to differentiate between the DIY homeowner and the professional.
Personally, I own a lot of the cheap made in China crap including a corded impact drill I found at a yard sale for three bucks.
If I were a professional using these tools daily, my choices would be quite different.

Last edited by Blondesense; 02-08-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 6,859
Default

DIY Home Improvement Questions


I think the post is strictly a marketing ploy....and I doubt the OP is really a student....

None of the questions are really technical in nature.....and those questions are exactly the same type I get from vendors....
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
mem
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 224
Default

DIY Home Improvement Questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I think the post is strictly a marketing ploy....and I doubt the OP is really a student....

None of the questions are really technical in nature.....and those questions are exactly the same type I get from vendors....
My thoughts exactly!
mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 393
Default

DIY Home Improvement Questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwapps View Post
Hi friends, I am currently a student at SIU Carbondale working on designing a handheld power tool for building decks. I i have some questions power tool users and I was wondering if you gentlemen and ladies could help me. Thank you very much. How about this oh'Mike?

1. 1. Where do you usually shop for power tools?

Big box home centers
Online
Retailers
Speciality hardware stores

2. 2. On average, how often do you use power tools?

A few times a year
1-2 times a month
3-6 times a month
More than 7 times a month

3.3Installing accessories and fixtures
Basic home remodeling
Advanced home remodeling
Household repairs/maintenance/upgrades
Other (please specify)

4. 4. On average, how many tools do you for a project such as building a deck?
1-5
6-10
11-15
16 and more


5. What types of tools do you usually use for DIY projects?
Manual tools such as hammers, pliers, wrenches, screw drivers etc
Stationary power tools such as table saw, band saw etc
Portable power tools such as drills, jigsaws, grinder etc

6. What primary features do you look for when purchasing tools?
Price
Size
Weight(based on intended use)
Balance
Power source
Ergonomics
other

7. Would you consider buying a multi-function tool for drilling holes (in metal wood and concrete) , driving screws and for driving large bolts and nuts. Why?

8. If you were buying a multi-function tool for drilling holes (in metal, wood and concrete), driving screws and for driving large bolts and nuts, What would you primarily use the tool for?

Drilling holes
Driving crews
Driving large bolts and buts

9.9. Overall, are you satisfied with your experience with power tools?
1. BIG box store. Sears, Lowes, McLendons.

2. Once every 2-3 months.

3. Household repairs/maintenance/upgrades

4. 1-5

6. Price and power

7. Yes. Would not have to switch back and forth.

8. Drilling holes.

9. No, but that's why I mostly use hand tools that require only me as a power source.

Last edited by jasin; 02-09-2012 at 02:03 PM.
jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 393
Default

DIY Home Improvement Questions


Quote:
Originally Posted by abracaboom View Post
Any drill for concrete worth its salt is too heavy for driving a lot of screws and drilling lots of holes on wood.
I've used my 3/8" 120vac Black & Decker drill to drill into concrete. Worked just fine :-)

jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheapest place to buy lumber - home improvement store or lumber supplier? J S Machine General DIY Discussions 23 01-13-2011 05:17 PM
Suggestions for good home improvement reward credit cards? docmattman Off Topic 2 10-19-2010 09:28 AM
Home improvement grants Momofthree642 Tools 3 04-23-2009 09:47 PM
Best book/resource for DIY home improvement gone_fishing General DIY Discussions 1 11-13-2008 10:33 AM
Home Improvement Contracts rjordan392 General DIY Discussions 48 03-15-2008 10:40 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.