Diy Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
castroball5

Rewards Points: 10

diy garage

i'm planning on building a 24x24 garage on my own. there is already a slab foundation for it. there is not going to be a garage door. just an opening. one side of the garage does not need to have siding. all i want is a few outlets and a fluorescent light. no insulation,no windows. could someone please give me an estimate on how much this would cost for me to build it myself? thanks

Advertisement

castroball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

diy garage

Just figure out a material list and get quotes from local lumber yards. Plus you're missing tons of info. - wall height, roof pitch, raftered roof?, trusses (storage trusses), what type of siding, shingles, etc.

Advertisement

pavola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

diy garage

Kind of siding, kind of roof shingles, Insulation? sheetrock? Electrical requiring additional lines?, panel? Access door? Windows? Style of roof: gable, hip. more elaborate? Access to the site area? Driveway-tie-in? Drainage needed? Landscaping? attached? detached? Demolition required? Extensive tie-in to main house work? .....etc, etc, etc...
There are many, many factors that can add up in costs, beyond the generalized idea of a "24'x 24' garage" (that's just a basic concept).

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-03-2008 at 06:04 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Rewards Points: 250

diy garage

We could go on forever here..........
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

diy garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by castroball5 View Post
i'm planning on building a 24x24 garage on my own. there is already a slab foundation for it. there is not going to be a garage door. just an opening. one side of the garage does not need to have siding. all i want is a few outlets and a fluorescent light. no insulation,no windows. could someone please give me an estimate on how much this would cost for me to build it myself? thanks
Do you have permits for this? Does your municipality permit "garages" that aren't garages?
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
castroball5

diy garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
Do you have permits for this? Does your municipality permit "garages" that aren't garages?

this is private land in the country.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
castroball5

diy garage

i guess i would have a 30 degree pitched roof with trusses. whats the avg garage wall height. i was thinking about 10 ft walls. would be sheetrock. no insulation. hardyplank siding. im not sure about different shingles. could someone factor in anything im leaving out and let me know how much this would cost me.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

diy garage

Of course its private, I don't think you would be building in a public park. Just because its in the county dose not rule out you needing a permit.
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:36 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 518

diy garage

There are way to many factors for anyone to consider throwing a price out for you. If you don't want to pay somebody to sit down with you and walk you threw this you can draw some pictures of each side with measurements and you will be able to figure out the materials from there. For example, 24 ft long side by 10 ft tall, 24 ft times 12 inches is 288 inches, divide that by 16(stud spacing) and you get 18 studs, add top plate and sill plate, the list goes on and on. Once you have an estimate on how many studs, siding, etc... you need you can go to home depot or a building supply and get prices for each material and times it by the quantity. Are you building this yourself or hiring someone to do it and just looking for a price? Some building stores will do this service for you for a small fee or for free.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
mtm

Rewards Points: 18

diy garage

8064 dollars.
mtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #11
Home Renovations GC

Rewards Points: 75

diy garage

castroball5, you need a structured plan, we can't price this even close with the info you've provided. Normally I'd jump on this lack of info but it is a new year and I'm in a good mood so there are steps you need to take.

1. Have your slab checked first, if it's not to local code for building a structure on it then you're shot before you start. You'll need to strengthen or re-build that. Better to do this first, it's cheap to check.

2. If you want an estimated cost for materials, draw the plan as best you can showing outside dimensions of walls and some side drawings showing your ideas. Try and cover as much as possible, take photos of the area and of your house, they will show items like roof pitch if you're looking to have the structure suit the house. Include outlets, windows, openings, doors, anything you might add. Take this to Home Depot or Lowes, they have programs there that will give you a fair estimate of materials and cost. Then add 20% to that price for unforseen materials and allowances. It sounds a lot but better to be on the high side than the shallow.

3. Third step if you decide to proceed, you'll need a detailed and professional plan of the structure, a zoning plan showing all services (water, electric, sewerage) and property/boundary distances. You'll need these because you will require a permit. This will cost you money to have a proper plan done, between $500 and $1000 is typical in our area. You'll also have a permit fee both for building and electrical and plumbing if you want it.

4. Next problem is getting everything through for permit. I dunno how much you know about construction, if it's only a little then hire a builder and have them do it, even for the extra cost. If you build and screw it up totally for inspection then it's gonna cost you more to fix that than it might for a builder to do the job and take responsibility. If you know a good amount about construction, you wouldn't be here asking these questions....

5. You're tackling something more than a home handyman should handle. This is not building a cupboard or adding walls in a basement, typical handyman projects. You're dealing with strict building codes and inspectors, there is no room for error. If you place your studs at 18" centers instead of 16" (and yup, did see this happen to a neighbor recently) then you'll be pulling the structure down and starting again.

6. If I haven't scared you off yet then find someone, a friend or neighbor that knows building and have them look over your shoulder every step of the way. Most importantly ask lots of questions......

Advertisement