Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2006, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Concrete capstone

I recently redid my front porch using tumbled pavers. I added a short wall on either end out of the matching retaining wall stones. I want to cap the two walls, but the limestone capstones that I was quoted will cost over $250. I was watching a program this morning on making concrete countertops, this gave me the idea to make my own concrete capstones. A search on google didn't yield any results. It seems to me to be a fairly straight forward project, but I hesitate to jump in without any guidance. Can any one point me to a good source on how to do this?

karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

DIY Concrete capstone

I would think it would be almost the same steps as a counter top. You would just make it thicker and not as wide. I would think you would want some shape to it to. I found this link on a search I just did for you.

http://www.concretedecor.net/All_Acc...er_profile.cfm

Old 09-24-2006, 06:27 AM   #3

DIY Concrete capstone

Thanks for the link! I visited their web site and it seems like their foam forms are exactly what I need. ts not clear if they sell to homeowners with small jobs, or only contractors, but I emailed them and we shall see.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

DIY Concrete capstone

Good Luck
Glad I could help
Old 09-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #5

DIY Concrete capstone

Well, it appears that the forms are only sold in 80' length boxes, way too much for my little job. So I am going to make my own forms and attempt this. I plan on pouring in place (i.e. place the forms on top of the wall rather than pour the form and move the capstone after it sets). I have another question about the pour (wasn't sure whether I should start a new thread on this or not). The dimensions of the capstones will be 17"x50". Thickness will be ~ 3.5". If I need an expansion joint, this will really complicate the process. Can I get away without one?

Thanks again!
Karen