Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

DIY bike mount (to turn bike into stationary bike)

I am thinking of building something like this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

But without the $200 price tag.

I'm thinking of using angle iron (the stuff with holes in it) and basically just building a triangular shape and then one of the holes would be re-sized to fit the bike's back wheel shaft and the bolt added. There *should* be room. If not I can find a way to attach it to the frame instead. That may actually be better as the shaft turning might just slowly grind through the metal.

This alone will be useless if I don't find a way to generate electricity with it (the more I generate, the harder it will be to pedal) so I'm thinking of extending the triangle to be more of a square with an X in it for strength. I'd remove the tire, and have just the rim, then add a belt - not sure where I could find this, guessing an automotive shop? The belt would drive a motor shaft which would then generate electricity. I'm not sure what I will put as the load yet but from this point the possibilities are endless. A couple incad bulbs are probably the best bet as they can take varying voltages quite well.

Any other suggestions on how to go about doing this or does this sound like it could work? I don't know how to weld and don't have welding equipment, otherwise I could also just weld something.

Also never worked with angle iron before, but guessing all I need is a hack saw to cut, and can use nuts/bolts/washers to secure the pieces?

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 10-23-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
If not I can find a way to attach it to the frame instead. That may actually be better as the shaft turning might just slowly grind through the metal.

... not sure where I could find this, guessing an automotive shop?

... or does this sound like it could work?

I don't know how to weld and don't have welding equipment...

Also never worked with angle iron before, but guessing all I need is a hack saw to cut, and can use nuts/bolts/washers to secure the pieces?
Frankly, these questions and statements tell me you are in over your head. You will be buying tools (which is a good thing!), a motor, a belt, etc, experimenting, re-doing, etc, and you will eat up $200 long before you are done. Plus, you may not end up w/ a viable product. Save yourself all the time, money, and grief, and keep your eye on Craig's list and eBay, etc. I bought one of these, barely used, for $75. j

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

No craigstlist where I live. We do have a similar site, but this is an uncommon item so I have not found any for sale.

Besides the DIY factor could be some fun. The tools may drive the cost up, but I don't really count tools into the cost of a project as I know I can use them for other projects later. I buy tools as I need them and usually buy mid end so they can last.

After taking a closer look at the bike, I never really took into account the shaft is stationary, so I can easily hook the angle iron to the shaft without worry about friction. Only thing the gear shifter might get in the way, but I can probably remove it and just make the bike permanently in the faster gear.

The motor I can probably find used though, I'm thinking a second hand appliance store.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 10-24-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Well, if you are going to buy the tools as a building system, and your time is not restricted, have at it. I have gotten into 100's of projects that ended up using way more time than anticipated, cost more than a factory job, and required me purchasing 11,000 new tools. But, I DID IT! So, WTH? Right now, I just finished making grapples for my skid steer bucket, and modified my toothed bucket for this purpose. I thought I could do this for about $1200, but it is running right around $1800. Chitina! I could have purchased a factory grapple bucket, and kept my toothed bucket intact, for about $3500, minimum, and not spent many, many hours in a cold garage. Maybe I should have, but this is gonna be a HD grapple, and all hand built. My time is cheap right now, so WTH?
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote