Dirt Under Corner Of Foundation Eroding... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dirt under corner of foundation eroding...

The corner of my 12 yr old house in North Texas (notorious for foundation problems) has eroded out from underneath. I don't see any cracks along the brick and the tile on the inside of the house doesn't show any cracking caused by this. I can stick my hand in there, but can't tell how far down it goes (see photos).

Can I fill this with Quickrete? I also read another post, possibly another website, that someone recommended landscaping rock, which won't erode away, but could this cause the area under/around the rock to continue to erode?

Also if I do this and say we get a lot of rain, thus raising the foundation, could this cause a crack from the lifting, rather then a crack from it sagging?

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
Stumpy00
Attached Images

Advertisement

Stumpy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 77

There's no footing that goes below ground level?! It may need a proper footing to resolve correctly. Stone may help for now but likely isn't permanent and won't be compacted enough to do anything unless the corner of the house starts to settle. It won't heave (uplift) unless it's wet and then freezes, and even then it won't heave unless the stone can't expand outward.

Advertisement

eclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #3

Can you clarify footing? Do I need a pro for that? I assume the answer its Yes, and it would involve supporting the house with a series of jacks and pumping dirt in there tightly.

I hate Fox and Jacob. They can't even get the foundation right.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

is your ground level floor a concrete slab?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #5

Yes...Concrete slab...no basement/crawlspace...nothing but dirt under e slab.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #6

The...not "e"
Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

sounds like you have what is called a monolithic foundation & slab, where they are poured together. Fairly common in the south when you don't have much of a frost depth.

A footing is a support (normally poured from concrete) that typically goes under the foundation wall. in the case of a monolithic pour the foundation typically is wide enough to support the loads and would not have a footing poured first.

Do you know what your frost depth is? If not, check with the building department (they may even have the original drawings on file) is there a covering (finish floor) over the concrete slab, if so, is there any cracking of the slab or covering at that corner?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #8

I'll see what I can find on the frost depth.

I have tile in the inside, that we laid about 4 years ago. There is no visible cracking of the tile or the mortar. There is cracking on the outside corner, about an inch and a half to two inches from the corner in either side. Correction from initial post, as I didn't think there was initially, until I checked again.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #9

Cracks are visible in the picture a well.

Advertisement