Digging Under The Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Digging under the wall

I want to dig a 6 foot section of dirt from under my (stone) basement wall, below the frost line. Then I'm going to re-fill the area that was dirt with concrete.

Any risk of the wall collapsing while I'm digging under it, or should it stand on it's own? Would it be worth the effort to pour in sections? What about holding it up with jack posts and just leaving them when I pour the wall? Like really expensive rebar?

Advertisement

tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,232

Digging under the wall

Why do you want to do this? Are you trying to shore up the foundation? Is the wall or basement floor cracked or sinking? If so, there is a process called "slab jacking" that is used to correct such conditions. Special equipment and techniques are used to basically inject concrete underneath a building's foundation. It is most assuredly NOT a DIY job.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

Digging under the wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Why do you want to do this? Are you trying to shore up the foundation? Is the wall or basement floor cracked or sinking? If so, there is a process called "slab jacking" that is used to correct such conditions. Special equipment and techniques are used to basically inject concrete underneath a building's foundation. It is most assuredly NOT a DIY job.
I'm adding a 4' x 6' in-floor hot tub.

Btw - I'm not buying a hottub, because it won't fit through the door. I'm pouring concrete, then covering it with this waterproofing **** for pools.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #4

Digging under the wall

Also, I already dug a 4 foot deep hole in my basement floor, near where this one is going to go, so water level / hydrostatic pressure should me a non-issue (plus I'm on a slope)
Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,232

Digging under the wall

Interesting. Have you thought this through?? Sounds like you have no idea what you're doing.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,032

Digging under the wall

what is the stone foundation wall supporting? is it supporting floor joists? roof? gable end wall? stop and think about what is holding up the foundation wall right now?

it can be removed, but only after on-site evaluation by someone that knows (either an experienced designer, building or professional engineer).

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Digging under the wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibberous View Post
I'm adding a 4' x 6' in-floor hot tub.

Btw - I'm not buying a hottub, because it won't fit through the door. I'm pouring concrete, then covering it with this waterproofing **** for pools.

Even if you succeed in this, do you know how much humidity this is gonna dump in your house?

I hope you have a good mold remediator on retainer.

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote