Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

digging for basement

14"wide by 32" long approximately 7 feet deep? How much would it cost? Or how long would it take to do it yourself?

mpinzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Experienced

digging for basement

Don't know what kind of shovel you thinking of using, how long you plan on working on it per day, what color is Nepoleans white horse, what kind of ground is it.... red clay......brown clay......blue clay......loam.....sand......sandy loam....gravel........pea gravel.........shale........sandy shale.......I think you can get the picture here.

How my friend do you expect to be in a hole 7' deep that is only 14" wide, or what are you going to bury?

Mark

coderguy (08-15-2011), gregzoll (08-14-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

digging for basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Don't know what kind of shovel you thinking of using, how long you plan on working on it per day, what color is Nepoleans white horse, what kind of ground is it.... red clay......brown clay......blue clay......loam.....sand......sandy loam....gravel........pea gravel.........shale........sandy shale.......I think you can get the picture here.

How my friend do you expect to be in a hole 7' deep that is only 14" wide, or what are you going to bury?

Mark
Funny stuff.......yeah, this sounds like the oddest hole I've ever heard of. If you must, rent a post hole digger, otherwise a manual post hole digger and a shovel, but man, that's gonna suck digging 7' down and only 14" wide.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Sparky

digging for basement

I'm gonna go with the unnecessary use of the shift key and he wants a 14 foot by 32 foot hole.
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #5

digging for basement

yes i meant feet, sorry for the miss use or the keys. If i knew that this site was full of dickheads I would not have signed up for advice on my project.

Thanks for clarifying Techy.

And I am a woman, so probably another window for some more insults. This is the last time I will use this site.
mpinzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #6

digging for basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinzino View Post
14"wide by 32" long approximately 7 feet deep? How much would it cost? Or how long would it take to do it yourself?
A shovel will cost about $20.00. If you have incentive, a hole that big should take you about 8 hours, if you stop for lunch, 8 hours and 30 minutes.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

digging for basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinzino View Post
yes i meant feet, sorry for the miss use or the keys. If i knew that this site was full of dickheads I would not have signed up for advice on my project.

Thanks for clarifying Techy.

And I am a woman, so probably another window for some more insults. This is the last time I will use this site.
Nice mouth for a woman. A Por#n site would be best for you. You opened up your mouth for more insults.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #8
Not so new

digging for basement

I dont do much excavating but I'd think a good excavator could do it in a day. Wouldnt try it myself.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Experienced

digging for basement

My My with that being said, I would guess that the OP is full of enthusiasm, I wonder if she can run a backhoe with that kind of vigor.

All things being the same, to ask an open question like how much / how long without any explanation leaves one open to guess work and allows the responder to fill in the blanks with any kind of response that would invoke a reasonable explanation as to what the OP is really asking.

So if you repost your question with the kind of information required to give a reasonable response then I am sure the feild will respond with a plethora of knowledge.

A 7' deep trench requires a reasonable consideration for cave-in safety, and needs to be shored up or tiered, contracting this kind of work out is the norm and usually involves concrete and form work. So put a scope of work together and call at least (3) contractors and get some pricing........enough said......in the mean time you should really consider anger management counceling.

Mark
Old 08-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4

digging for basement

Did not mean to offend in the least........just thought it was a small hole being dug for a fence post or something like that. I guess I'll take an ESP class at the local community college so I can read minds and avoid being called a "dickhead."
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
coderguy (08-15-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #11

digging for basement

Other posts that the OP made got good advice. One post, we kid around and there's an issue(big issue)
Whatever happened to a sense of humor?.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote