Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #1

Share |

Digging around posts, closing open space

Digging around posts, closing open space-img_1163.jpg

Digging around posts, closing open space-img_1160.jpg

Picture is worth 1000 words... I was planning to close this area and make extra bedroom, but...always that but heights is only 6 feet.

I want to increase heights to 8 feet. without moving support.
Do you think that will be possible digging 2 feet below, always keeping 2 feet away from the posts, then dig new foundation all around the addition , pouring new foundation and them build the wall with cinder blocks all the way around the addition enclosing the current beams, all the way to the ceiling. ( fill the space between the last row of blocks and joist with pressure treated wood ).
Or you have any other suggestions...

Rowhousefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

1st Q: Was the enclosed porch project above this space done with permits and inspections?
2nd Q: Does your city allow deepening cellars for row homes?

Even with a yes to both of the above Q's and in answer to your "Or you have any other suggestions"...
I say forget the idea of enclosing and finishing altogether.

But if you insist on doing something there...
make the area into the screened in porch the project above eliminated.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #3

Man, does that look scary. I'd be nervous just going under there to quickly grab something, much less spend days under there doing construction, tearing up the concrete floor. Those look like wood posts resting (securely, hopefully) on footings. OK if that was a deck overhead and the area underneath was unoccupied. But you're talking about messing around with that area and putting people under that heavy overhead structure for days on end. Sorry, but that looks like a death trap to me.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
Man, does that look scary. I'd be nervous just going under there to quickly grab something, much less spend days under there doing construction, tearing up the concrete floor. Those look like wood posts resting (securely, hopefully) on footings. OK if that was a deck overhead and the area underneath was unoccupied. But you're talking about messing around with that area and putting people under that heavy overhead structure for days on end. Sorry, but that looks like a death trap to me.
I was just about to say the same thing. I would be VERY cautious about going under there. Safety should be your #1 priority.
StainlessRailGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
1st Q: Was the enclosed porch project above this space done with permits and inspections?
2nd Q: Does your city allow deepening cellars for row homes?

Even with a yes to both of the above Q's and in answer to your "Or you have any other suggestions"...
I say forget the idea of enclosing and finishing altogether.

But if you insist on doing something there...
make the area into the screened in porch the project above eliminated.
Thank you for response. It is legal to close that area, I need drawings and permit to do it.

Safety wise those columns are made from steel ( not wood ) so it is pretty safe right now. and there is separate foundation under them so breaking the rest of the concrete around would not interfere with steel post foundation.
Plus closing that area with brick wall all around it would even make it much more stable.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #6

I dont know if the addition done with inspection, I have replace the siding and couple of wooden part and everything was normal
Old 04-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowhousefix View Post
Thank you for response. It is legal to close that area, I need drawings and permit to do it.

Safety wise those columns are made from steel ( not wood ) so it is pretty safe right now. and there is separate foundation under them so breaking the rest of the concrete around would not interfere with steel post foundation.
Plus closing that area with brick wall all around it would even make it much more stable.
OK, well. It looks like a pretty big operation to me. Lowering that are by 2' means that the room's floor will rest below grade and that means moisture issues. No problem, you might think. Basements are below grade, right? Yes, but considerable measures have been taken to keep moisture out--at a minimum, weeping tile and waterproofing of the foundation wall's exterior. I don't see how you're going to be able to do either in this case. I'm sorry, but my feeling is you're opening up a can of worms there. As a DIYer, I wouldn't touch this with a 10' pole.
The Following User Says Thank You to cortell For This Useful Post:
Rowhousefix (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #8

Quote:
OK, well. It looks like a pretty big operation to me. Lowering that are by 2' means that the room's floor will rest below grade and that means moisture issues. No problem, you might think. Basements are below grade, right? Yes, but considerable measures have been taken to keep moisture out--at a minimum, weeping tile and waterproofing of the foundation wall's exterior. I don't see how you're going to be able to do either in this case. I'm sorry, but my feeling is you're opening up a can of worms there. As a DIYer, I wouldn't touch this with a 10' pole.

You are right, this is a big job. I am not planning to do it myself.
My biggest thing about this project is how to plan this. I had couple of contractors come out and I am hearing different stories.
Should I leave the studs or completely remove them.
As if you first add more support and work on the both side,dig below and make foundation and bring the brick wall all the way to the joist then I even dont need the studs.
Some of them wants to keep the studs and arrange the brick around it.
Also should I just concrete and pour first the foundation and then instead of brick pour concrete and make concrete walls.

Thanks for your reply
Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #9

I don't mean to be crass, but please re-read my very last sentence. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #10

Quote:
I don't mean to be crass, but please re-read my very last sentence. Good luck!

Nope, you are cool. I just think that u didnt understand my question.
I will not perform the work, I have different options offered by contractors and cant figure it out what is the best option to do the job. they all have they own theories. I guess I will choose one,
cheers!

Tags
foundation, support beam, wall construction