Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:05 AM   #1

Share |

differance between cementboard and backerboard

When I built the first bath in our house I used cement board for the tiled areas and had some issues with it,sometimes the edges would crumble) I found that by taping them they would not do it when I put the screws in and it came out good.I was told that I should have used hardy backer board and I am just wondering what the difference is in the two ( besides the price) I have the next bath all framed and plumbed and I am about at the point to put up the board so should I stay with the cement board or spend extra on hardy backer board ???

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:28 AM   #2

I would pose this question on the flooring board where Angus, BudCline or Jazzman will give you a good answer.

I know that the hardiboard is a good deal lighter and less prone to breaking. But many of the old time installers refuse to change their ways and stay with the bulkier harder product.

Hardiboard is under constant threat as new, but pricier options like ditra and a hardiboard look alike that you can carry at least 3 pieces with one hand.

For the differences, which was you question though, check with the flooring side.

HomeDepot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasact View Post
When I built the first bath in our house I used cement board for the tiled areas and had some issues with it,sometimes the edges would crumble) I found that by taping them they would not do it when I put the screws in and it came out good.I was told that I should have used hardy backer board and I am just wondering what the difference is in the two ( besides the price) I have the next bath all framed and plumbed and I am about at the point to put up the board so should I stay with the cement board or spend extra on hardy backer board ???
They are both cementitious boards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cement_board

Cement board (Glass-Mesh re-inforced Cement). Composition:
PermaBaseŽ BRAND Cement Board is a rigid substrate made of Portland cement, aggregate and glass mesh.
Durock cement board is formed in a continuous process of aggregated portland cement slurry with polymer-coated, glass-fiber mesh completely encompassing edges, back and front surfaces.

Hardie board (Fiber-re-inforced-cement). Composition: 90% Portland cement and ground sand. HardieBacker™ board contains no asbestos, glass mesh, formaldehyde, or gypsum.

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...halfInch.shtml
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #4

They can be used interchangeably, based on installer preference. I'm a fan of good old wonderboard/Durarock personally.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
They can be used interchangeably, based on installer preference. I'm a fan of good old wonderboard/Durarock personally.
Same here. I find the Hardiebacker fiber-cement too brittle. I prefer Durock or Perma-base. Current tile jobs: one sunroom addition, 3 bathroom remodels, and building a day-spa/salon (showers and tile floors) = all Perma-base installations, no hardie backer.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-25-2008 at 08:01 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

I usually end up with Hardi because of availability. But overall, it really doesn't matter too much because AFTER YOU WATERPROOF the CBU, you're good to go anyway.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #7

Thanks all I kind of thought I was doing it right but the kid a HD kept insisting that everyone uses hardy backer for their tile projects so I thought I would ask.I know I shold have known better comming from HD
Old 06-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

You could use DensShield/DensGuard (same stuff) instead. It will make the waterproofing quicker and easier. Cause you are going to waterproof, right?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:09 AM   #9

oh yes I got plenty of membrane to cover it from top to bottom. Like I said I was in HD and was looking at the hardy and the other cement boards and this kid/salesperson came up and started telling I was using the wrong stuff.He said it enough that I was kind of doubting myself and what I had already done so I just wanted to get a clarification before I went and did anymore.I waterproof the whole shower and behind the sink and even around where the supply line comes in for the toilet then tile ,grout and seal all, that may be a bit overkill but when I am done I don't worry Thanks