Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Did I need to use Foam board in basement?

I have a split level basement and I am planning on finishing off some of the walls with 2x4's, etc. All of the basement walls are already sealed with Dryloc. I never had a water problem in the basement and the basement is quit cozy warm even in the winter. I have a 3zone baseboard heating, so the boiler makes it warm in the basement.

The walls I am finishing off are not that large, do I need to use foam board before I put up the 2x4 walls? I was just going to put the 2x4 walls up and insulate with some bat rolls, not sure what R to use yet.

Will I have a problem in the future if I dont use foam board insulation?
Do I even have to use rolls of insulation if my basement is warm already?

dbeers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeers16 View Post
I never had a water problem in the basement... That you have seen, but you may have more moisture than you think; just a guess. What is your soil like? If you have even a little vapor or tiny leaks, that could build up in a sealed wall. Usually foam board is used in basements. FG is not that good of an insulation, esp if it might get damp. Roxul would work better, but foam is likely the best. Stuff it between the studs and foam any gaps, or glue it to the wall and stud over it to keep it there; various options.

Will I have a problem in the future if I dont use foam board insulation? Only with cold. It will be hard as hell to insulate after you sheet rock, so maybe now is the time??? It's your call; how much money are you losing now, vs the ROI for insulation? IMO, it is almost never a bad idea to insulate; it is cheap, really.
c after bullets. j PS: No vapor barrier in basements. Use the airtight drywall approach, as per buildingscience.com

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
dbeers16 (12-14-2010)
Old 12-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #3

2" xps foam would be my suggestion. The major manufacturers make boards that are T&G to lock together. Some have slots for furring strips to make securing it to wall easier, and also provide something to hang drywall.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #4

So no foamboard, just 2x4 walls and drywall? My basement holds heat very well, it is really never cold in the basement. If I put some regular insulation, no foamboard, is there any disadvantage? Moisture, mold down the line?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeers16 View Post
So no foamboard... Foam board is the typical insulation. NO vapor BARRIER (ie, polyethylene sheeting, aka visqueen).

My basement holds heat very well... Outside temps don't get as low below grade as above, so will lose less heat in a cold climate. However, they still lose heat, so insulation is usually a great idea.

If I put some regular insulation, no foamboard, is there any disadvantage? If "regular" means fiberglass, then yes, it can be problematic. Foam is the most popular, but if the soil is dry, drained, etc, then cellulose, mineral wool, or cotton can be used, if the wall can breathe to the inside. AIR sealing is critical.
c after bullets. Have you read on buildscience.com/resources, etc? j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #6

I could not find anything on buildingscience.com
Old 12-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #7

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...vapor-barriers
dreid47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #8

also, for more on basement insulation
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ent-insulation
dreid47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #9

I am reading and reading over and over about vapor barriers and whether to use one or not. I live in Central NJ and I already framed my two walls with 2x4's. Again, all of the basement walls are already sealed with Dryloc. I never had a water problem in the basement and the basement is quit warm. The cinder block walls are not cold at all, only slightly cold. In reading online it sounds like I should NOT insulate the walls with fiberglass insulation and NOT apply a 4mil plastic covering, this will cause problems if I have a moisture problem.

I am thinking of going the route of just putting up the drywall and not insulating. If any moisture does build up between the foundation wall and the drywall I have air to pass thru to get rid of any moisture. I also have a de humidifier in the basement to get remove humidity. The ceiling is going to be a drop ceiling.

So anyone out there, if this was your basement what route would you go if the 2x4 walls are already up? Just put the drywall?

Thank you in advance,
Dave