Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #1

Share |

Determining roof load and header size

Hi,
I'm trying to determine my roof load so that I can determine the header that I need for a 10' RO entryway on an exterior wall. I've attached a rough diagram. Basically there is a family room (right) connected to a sun room (left). The arrow is the wall the opening will be in. This wall partially supports both of the roofs. I'm hoping to be able to get away with an 8" header of LVL. Any advice here? Thanks!

Other important info:
1) Span will be 10'.
2) House is in New England, so snow weight is a consideration. I'm counting on 50 lbs / sq ft.
3) Ideally I'd like the header to be no bigger than 8", otherwise the entry way will be too short. I'm guessing this means using something like LVL or steel.
4) The mono sloped roof is 13' and the main roof is 19'.
Attached Thumbnails
Determining roof load and header size-house.jpg  

Last edited by SoxFan44; 06-19-2013 at 08:04 AM.
SoxFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #2

Go see a structual engiener. No one is going to give out that type of advice on the internment. Nor should one use it from a stranger from the internet. Way to much of a liability.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #3

you may want to edit your profile to include your location. many times answers to questions are location based, i.e., in Massachusetts the state building code states what the snow load for each town/city is.

nails is absolutely correct in regards to depending on internet forums for structural advise. if I knew where you were I could probably link you with your building code which may provide header sizes based upon your roof span.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Roofmaster

I think this would look a lot better, and work a lot better if you run a perpendicular gable out from the main roof. Shed roofs look cheap, and you will not have much slope. Not good in a heavy snow region IMO.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #5

Also with that style roof your going to find it will form a snow drift where the two roofs meet. Also far more likely to form ice dams.
My dad lives in NH and used to have to go up on the roof every time it snow to shovel it off so it would not keep leaking.
In a bad windy storm I've seen the snow build up over his head.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan44 View Post
Any advice here?
I agree with nailbags. Hope you do not do your one-stop shopping on an internet forum where noone's credentials can be validated to give that advice.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #7

Thanks guys, I should have been more clear with my question. I wasn't asking for anyone to determine the size of the header for me, I was looking for advice on where to find out what I need. I've found the building codes for my town and I'm going through it now. I also have a structural engineer already scheduled, but I wanted to do some homework first. Partially because it's interesting to me, and partially to be somewhat informed when he comes.
SoxFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoxFan44 For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (06-20-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #8

did you find the Mass Amendments? just in case here is a link to the 2009 International Residential Code (basis for Mass Code) and a link for the Amendments (changes we made to the IRC)

2009 IRC http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...2009/index.htm

Amendments http://www.mass.gov/eopss/consumer-p...tial-code.html

you may also want to check with your town and find out if your energy code requirements is the base code or did your town adopted the Mass Stretch Energy Code

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/consumer-p...formation.html

I'm in Mass also

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
SoxFan44 (06-19-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan44 View Post
Thanks guys, I should have been more clear with my question. I wasn't asking for anyone to determine the size of the header for me, I was looking for advice on where to find out what I need. I've found the building codes for my town and I'm going through it now. I also have a structural engineer already scheduled, but I wanted to do some homework first. Partially because it's interesting to me, and partially to be somewhat informed when he comes.
Good I hope is all works out for you.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote