DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Determining Actual Fence Height ...

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TheCamper 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a house here in Southern California. I was told that my maximum fence height can only be 6 feet tall. However, what determines what the base of the fence is? For instance, what if the fence was built on a concrete wall (ex: 1 foot wall, with a 6 foot fence built on top of it). Would that be considered six feet? Or would it be considered 7 feet? What if the fence post is raised higher where the actual fence boards are exactly 6 feet in length?

Thanks in advance to those who respond!

Jason

#3 ·
Fence height

Regarding fences; the height, placement, design and type of fence permitted, except when the fence is a barrier to a pool or other hazard, is a matter of local zoning and so varies greatly from one municipality to the next. In your municipality's zoning code you will likely find regulations for the height and placement of a fence and a definition of height of a fence. It may also address the height of the fence when placed at the top of a wall. Don't assume what "height" is as there could be regulations you would not typically think of; e.g. "The height of a fence situated in the required front yard for a residence occupancy is measured from the crown of the road." or "When a fence is placed at the top of a wall less distance away from the outer edge of the wall than the height of the wall; the height of the wall shall be included in the height of the fence placed at the top of the wall." So check your local zoning code. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.