Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
the Musigician

Share |

deteriorating tyvek

when we first moved here, there was a home up the street that had tyvek wrap, and nothing else yet. 5 years later..... they added vinyl siding. last fall, my last time i saw the inspector, he told me to hurry up and get the siding on my addition, as the tyvek will deteriorate fast. ???
ok, i'm no dummy.... (no comments from the peanut gallery) but it seems to me he's pretty much fulla...well, you know.
so, how long do i have to get my siding on before my tyvek rots and falls off....?? heh heh

DM

Old 02-24-2009, 05:42 AM   #2

deteriorating tyvek

26 and a half days. After that, you'll have to put up new. Seriously, I don't think it's going to fall apart right away, but I'm pretty sure it's not rated for UV exposure, so I wouldn't go five years like your neighbor.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

deteriorating tyvek

normally this will not rot as such. But it will be effected by sunlight over time. The biggest thing that happens is wind rips it off the walls. Many people do not install it tight enough or securely. However Tyvek installation instructions state that it must be covered withing 120 days.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
the Musigician

deteriorating tyvek

mornin' jerry...
thankz
i thought as much, but sometimes i gotta wonder about this guy, you know? some of the comments he's made to me really make me wonder about his ability to do his job. one that comes to mind is "why not find a contractor that will do this job for you gratis?"
.... for free... yeah, right...
"can't you get a loan from the govt.?" told him no... then i asked him if he'd like to come do it for free for me..... no comment after that.
another comment was " looks like i'm going to have to fight you on every nail in every board" sheesh....

DM
Old 02-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #5

deteriorating tyvek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
mornin' jerry...
thankz
i thought as much, but sometimes i gotta wonder about this guy, you know? some of the comments he's made to me really make me wonder about his ability to do his job. one that comes to mind is "why not find a contractor that will do this job for you gratis?"
.... for free... yeah, right...
"can't you get a loan from the govt.?" told him no... then i asked him if he'd like to come do it for free for me..... no comment after that.
another comment was " looks like i'm going to have to fight you on every nail in every board" sheesh....

DM
Best way to deal with people like that is to smile and say Thank you. It does no good to engage them in any type of meaningful conversation.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
the Musigician

deteriorating tyvek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Tyvek installation instructions state that it must be covered withing 120 days.
thanks bob, that's helpful.
i wonder though if that's just to cover their @$$es from whatever?
i found some out in the woods that looked new, and it was at least 15 yrs out there.

DM
Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

deteriorating tyvek

They also make a commercial rated wrap that has a much much longer life span, so I do not think it is necessarily why they rate it accordingly. Many thinks last longer than a warranty, But beyond this period you have no complaint.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
Chicago, IL

deteriorating tyvek

Per DuPont:

"DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® and DuPont™ Tyvek® StuccoWrap®, DuPont™ Tyvek® DrainWrap™, DuPont™ Tyvek® ThermaWrap™ and DuPont™ Tyvek® AtticWrap™ should be covered within 120 days (4 months). DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap® should be covered within 270 days (9 months)."

-
http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Constru...emodelers.html

---------

Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
the Musigician

deteriorating tyvek

orrrrr..... what? it rots? gives off toxic fumes? turns gay? lol

DM
Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Remodeling Contractor

deteriorating tyvek

House wraps are actually intended to be used as rain barriers, although marketing differently. The effectiveness of the wrap is decreased from over wetting the surface. contaminates called surfactants lower the surface energy of the wrap. Dirt over time fills the pores on the housewrap which allow water to start penetrating the surface by capillary action or hydrostatic pressure. Once the surface energy is lowered to the point of the surface energy of water the wrap no longer performs as expected. So follow directions and cover before 120 days.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
the Musigician

deteriorating tyvek

thank you bob, THAT was the answer i was looking for. (sure am glad it wasn't any of the above or worse!)
maybe i'll lightly broom it off before i vinyl side it this spring....
tnkx!

DM
Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
Remodeling Contractor

deteriorating tyvek

I would also mention that detergents will adversely effect the wrap also. And any wood siding or trim should be back-primed to also avoid lowing the effectiveness of house wraps.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #13

deteriorating tyvek

the thing with tyvek is that its the way its woven that makes it work not a coating like whats on typar so nothings going to wear off except maybe the lettering.But i agree being unprotected for a very long time could decrease its effectiveness with dirt and wind etc.

You probably put it on to protect the building until your ready to side it,i would say it did its job.I personally would install new just before i was going to side,at approx.10$ a square its cheep insurance.

Bob is correct as usual about the back priming,but be careful with anything oil based ive seen that have an effect on tyvek

Last edited by Tom Struble; 02-24-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #14

deteriorating tyvek

I dormered the back of my house in 04, put up Tyvek
I was adding a sunroom & greenhouse off the back
So in 07 I built the sunroom - Tyvek was still fine after 3 years
In 08 I started the addition on the side Tyvek was still OK after 4+ years
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
Remodeling Contractor

deteriorating tyvek

What exactly was the Perm rating left at that point.