Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #1

Share |

Deteriorating brick walls

I have just recently purchase a row home that is over 100 years old. The U&O inspection requires states that the Basement walls are deteriorating and require parging. The basement walls are all brick and there is no sump pump. After doing some research it seems that parging the basement walls is only a temporary aesthetic remediation and in the end will result in more damage to the brick. What is the ideal and permanent solution to the "deteriorating of the brick walls"? I read that tuck-pointing, or repointing of the brick with a lime/portland type I/II mix? Any advice?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (91.9 KB, 102 views)
jelost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #2

Tuckpointing then parging with a Lime mortar/plaster(they are essentially the same thing) is what you want to do. Search this forum for "tuckpointing" and "lime mortar"; the question has been answered many times.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #3

Hi,
Thanks I will have a look. I just wanted to make sure that if I got this professionally done, I was getting the right thing done and not just doing a cover up. If I bring a professional in, they may or may not know that it would be better to get a half lime/portland mix of mortar. On average what would it cost me to tuckpoint four 5 ft x 5ft walls ?

thx.
jelost is offline   Reply With Quote