Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Detail when 2 joists run flush up against each other

Hi,

I am building a porch on the north side of a small cabin that Im building. The floor under the cabin is framed with 2x12 joists, with the last joists running along the far north edge. The porch will be framed with 2x8 joists, flush up against that last pair of 2x12 joists. This means one will have to step down out of the cabin onto the porch. The porch will have a roof over it, but that roof probably wont be put up until next summer. The floor on the porch will be green 1" rough sawn hemlock boards, spaced to allow drainage if water or snow were to find its way on the porch.

Is there any detail I need to do where the 2x8 porch joist runs along and is flush to the 2x12 joist supporting the cabin? I am wondiering if I should worry about water finding its way between the 2 joists, and keeping those two sides wet, and ultimately causing rot.

Thanks,
Dan

danf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

dan...if I picture this right, it looks like a normal ledger board attachment. Typically, the ledger (2x8) would be covered with a ledger flashing. Top of the flashing is covered with siding material.

12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Oh, I see. That makes great sense. So, I see on a picture on Google that there could be back flashing that covers the whole 12" of the 2x12 joist, then with more flashing that just covers the top of the 2x8 and the rest of the 2x12 above that. Is that the best practice?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ledge...w=1366&bih=643

Whats best to use for the flashing material?
danf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf26 View Post
Oh, I see. That makes great sense. So, I see on a picture on Google that there could be back flashing that covers the whole 12" of the 2x12 joist, then with more flashing that just covers the top of the 2x8 and the rest of the 2x12 above that. Is that the best practice?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ledge...w=1366&bih=643

Whats best to use for the flashing material?

Yeah...thats a pretty good illustration. I dont use a "back flashing". Normally theres house wrap or felt there and I leave that alone. Plastic ledger flashing comes in 10' lengths and is readily available. I lay the flashing on the ledger and then cover the top edge with a product like Vycor (self adhesive flashing).
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote