Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #1

Share |

detached garage wall starting to lean out

i have a 70 yr old detached garaged thats 2x4 construction with a brick veneer for the side and back walls

the left side is starting to lean out a bit....at its worst its about 1.75 outta plumb

i did back into the garage on this side which i think i messed it up
i would like to beef up the structure inside to give it some some extra support, unless u think its just gonna topple over

so i would like to put some 2x4's from the left top plate and bring them across to the right top plate and bolt them where the roof joist and the top plate meet.....do u think this would help?

and suggestions?

or maybe some steel somewhere?

as u can notice the garage was extended about 3 feet decades ago

also look to left tof the top of the window you can see where i had to build the wall out a bit because the joist could no longer rest on the top plate

Last edited by bbillcee; 06-26-2010 at 03:32 PM.
bbillcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Mod

A picture or two from the inside would help.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
A picture or two from the inside would help.
added some pics to the main thread
Old 06-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #4

Naturally, this begs the questions "Is the foundation settling?" and "What is tying the walls together in the lid?" Something is amiss here, and that needs to be resolved before you begin "beefing up", etc. I'd suspect the foundation.
GL. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Naturally, this begs the questions "Is the foundation settling?" and "What is tying the walls together in the lid?" Something is amiss here, and that needs to be resolved before you begin "beefing up", etc. I'd suspect the foundation.
GL. j

if it was the foundation, wouldn't the wall be sinking?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #6

... the footer were sinking uniformly. It could be twisting. Whether that is more likely than the top not being braced (tied to the other walls) properly I don't know. Just throwing out ideas to help find the cause. Let us know what you find when you dig into it. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #7

Your wall is splaying out at the top because there aren't enough cross ties (joists) and the cross ties that are there aren't adequately secured to the top plate and rafter. That is why you had to tack support on for that one joist. The joist is there to keep the two walls from spreading out (like yours is doing) under the force of the roof rafters on the top plate. If it was adequately secured it wouldn't have let the top plate slide out from under it. Basically your roof is pushing the wall out.

You should also have these joists where the garage door railing is. Someone took them out to fit in the door hardware - bad mistake.

If it was just a frame wall I'd try to carefully push and winch (between the two opposite walls top plates) it back up and attach cross ties securely to the top plate and rafters. I don't know enough about brick veneer walls to know if you can do that.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
Your wall is splaying out at the top because there aren't enough cross ties (joists) and the cross ties that are there aren't adequately secured to the top plate and rafter. That is why you had to tack support on for that one joist. The joist is there to keep the two walls from spreading out (like yours is doing) under the force of the roof rafters on the top plate. If it was adequately secured it wouldn't have let the top plate slide out from under it. Basically your roof is pushing the wall out.

You should also have these joists where the garage door railing is. Someone took them out to fit in the door hardware - bad mistake.

If it was just a frame wall I'd try to carefully push and winch (between the two opposite walls top plates) it back up and attach cross ties securely to the top plate and rafters. I don't know enough about brick veneer walls to know if you can do that.
yes this makes much sense, so if i get some adequate crossing bracing in do u think i'll be ok keeping it out of plumb a bit?

or if i tried a come a long or turnbuckle, do u think i'd be better off doing it between the top plates or from the leaning top plate and bolting a hook into the opposite side concrete floor maybe?

Last edited by bbillcee; 06-28-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #9

Maybe, if you don't mind the lean it might be ok to stabilize it that way. A come-along to the floor may just push the opposite wall away so it's probably better to go between the top plates and/or between the rafters above the top plates because they need to move back into place too. Since the rafters have splayed out the ridge board has probably dropped a bit in the center. It may help to apply upward pressure on the ridge board at the same time you pull in the wall top. I have no idea how the masonry will respond to the movement. Go slow and easy.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
Maybe, if you don't mind the lean it might be ok to stabilize it that way. A come-along to the floor may just push the opposite wall away so it's probably better to go between the top plates and/or between the rafters above the top plates because they need to move back into place too. Since the rafters have splayed out the ridge board has probably dropped a bit in the center. It may help to apply upward pressure on the ridge board at the same time you pull in the wall top. I have no idea how the masonry will respond to the movement. Go slow and easy.
yes you are right on the money, just so happensd a friend of mine ran into a guy that specializes in this stuff, i called him and he's gonna come by and have a look.....he said same as you and he said it should be no big deal....we'll see

if he gives decent price i'll let him do it

thanks for all the help

Last edited by bbillcee; 06-29-2010 at 05:22 AM.