Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Designing a House

Assuming no specific local regulation, am I correct in thinking that I'm permitted to design and build my own house without the need for a structural engineer and architect? I would design the house based on information available in the 2009 IRC, so the design would be entirely prescriptive.

The IRC outlines everything from foundation requirements to roof design and everything in between. As long as I keep the design simple and adhere to the IRC, I can't think of a single thing that I would need a SE or architect.

powertoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,354

Designing a House

Would you be allowed to, yes. Should you, probably not. A decent architect adds value to the project.

As far as designing to the IRC. You need to make sure that it is the regulation you will be inspected too. If you lived in my area, you would be a fool to do so. The IRC gets modified by the state, then the county/city modifies those codes.

If you list your location, you might get better responses.

Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,486

Designing a House

Depends on where you live. If in California (earthquake state), you would need engineering to show that your foundation loading, hold downs, shear wall stress, etc is correct. So, if your a licensed engineer and can wet stamp your own drawings....no problem.

I did the drawings for my garage (2-story). Considering the time I spent....paying an architect would have been cheaper....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,022

Designing a House

in theory you may be correct.

just remember the prescriptive requirements of the 2009 IRC do not cover all design considerations.

for example:

-it does not cover the use of steel beams
-does not cover the use of pier foundation as it requires a continuous frost protection foundation with footings
-does not address basic wind speeds of 110 mph or greater

are you saying you live in an area without any building code?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,136

Designing a House

Where I live, house plans submitted for a building permit are required to have a licensed engineer's stamp.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,256

Designing a House

Al that ^^^^^. and you might want it not to look like a POS.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 252

Designing a House

I would say design your house and then take the plans to an architect. This will give them a very good idea of what you want in the end product. They will then be able to fine tune your plan, improve floor plan, foot traffic patterns, room layout and size(especially kitchen and bathroom), window placement and size, etc.

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote