Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Depth of nails in sole plate

What size nails do I need to fasten 2 by 4 pressure treated sole plates to a concrete floor in my basement to satisfy IRC code.

spring3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Can we assume (and you know what that makes us) that the wall in question is a interior partition wall connecting to the slab portion of your concrete basement floor?

If so then I usually spec-out 3" long powder actuated fasteners 16" O.C. I haven't been gigged by the Building Departments for this yet.

Yours may be different though.

I can not find any code reference on attaching bottom plates to concrete slabs, I will be looking harder though.

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
spring3100 (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

Thanks Andy,and yes they will be interior,non load bearing,partition walls.

My pardon,I should have specked that in my OP.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,056

if its just for partitions you just need something that will keep the plate from moving laterally, i use a few methods

1) use a hammer drill with a 1/4" bit to drill a hole through the plate into the concrete, then slip two strands of copper wire in the hole then drive a galv spike into the opening,, the wire will create resistance which will grab the spike

2) use a ramset gun and shoot the plate down with 2 1/2" pins

3) using a hammer drill with a 3/8 sds bit, drill through the wood and into the concrete then fasten the plate down with a 4" concrete wedge anchor
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
spring3100 (11-28-2011)
Old 11-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #5

Thanks Kirk,can you give me a size on the copper wire.

Also,the floor is about 12 years old,should I use a .22 or a .27 caliber if I go with that method.

I will be doing about 110 feet of plates,so your input on which will be the least time consuming,and give me the best results would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

If you are doing a large amount of this i would go out a rent or buy a Ramset. They are simple to use and much faster then drilling
AirdrieHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AirdrieHandyman For This Useful Post:
spring3100 (11-28-2011)
Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,056

ramsets work in some applications, i use them quite often however more often than not have to deal with misfires or the pin doesnt hold in the concrete or the concrete spawls and your left with a peice of wood full of nails doing nothing. in my vast experience its a 50/50 using ramsets.. you have to have perfectly flat concrete with very little imperfections . so my goto method is the hammer drill, wire and spike method. its used quite a bit in commercial construction both for fastening wood to concrete when there is no major forces involved. if it has to hold any large amounts of weight then the wedge anchor method is used or threaded rod combined with two part epoxy

for the type of wire i use its typically one of two things,, a role of 16 gauge tie wire or i just grab the "pigtails" off the ground left by electricians... their the short offcuts of the excess wire that stick out of switch and outlet boxes.
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
spring3100 (11-30-2011)
Old 11-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
Green Hat

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring3100 View Post
Thanks Kirk,can you give me a size on the copper wire.

Also,the floor is about 12 years old,should I use a .22 or a .27 caliber if I go with that method.

I will be doing about 110 feet of plates,so your input on which will be the least time consuming,and give me the best results would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Just finished up with the same thing a few months ago. I used my .27 cal gun and 3" nails with #4 loads. Didn't have any misfires and knocked it out in about 10 minutes for the same amount of work that you are looking at. I actually went out and bought one. I checked rental price, and for a .27 cal......it was going to be about the same as buying a used one from someone on craigslist. Normally, I frown on buying higher end tools that have had heavy use, but I figured.....what the hell. $50 bucks is worth the risk.

Used it multiple times since then for little things here and there. Great tool to have when you need it.

Good luck

Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills314 For This Useful Post:
spring3100 (11-30-2011)