Denshield And Vapour Barrier - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Denshield and Vapour Barrier

I just pulled down a brand new (professionally) tiled shower in preparation for redoing the lousy tile job. The backing was Denshield, but when I removed it from 2 out of 3 walls, the external (yellow) side was really wet. Now, in both cases, there was a vapour barrier in place, which the instructions say should not be used with Denshield. Does this mean I should pull the vapor barrier and what is the implication of this for insulating against the exterior (cold - this is Alberta) wall?

Thanks.

Advertisement

doitokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Strip it down to the stud wall. Decide what you want to replace it with and follow the manufacturer's instruction as to the proper vapor control barrier.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #3

Where is the moisture coming from...penetrating moisture from the shower itself, condensation from water vapor elsewhere in the bathroom? Are we talking about 2/3 walls in the shower itself or the bathroom? As you noted, Denshield shouldn't be installed with a vapor barrier behind it. You can face it with a waterproof membrane/vapor barrier (applied to tile surface side). Hardi/Wonderboard/Durock faced with Kerdi is the way to go, imho. I trust your exterior walls are properly insulated for your climate, and your room is well ventilated.
Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #4

Thanks. Where the moisture is coming from really is the question. The original tilers did not seal the joints as per instructions and did not pause to let anything dry so it is possible that some of the moisture is from the mastic. However, I am not sure that explains all of it. I wonder about condensation because of the plastic vapour barrier that exists on the outside wall (standard, with pink insulation). The shower was never used. Would the Denshield or Hardiboard/Kerdi combination replace the vapour barrier? (And I meant 2 out of 3 of the tub walls are external walls).
doitokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #5

yes either denshield separately or concrete backer board plus kerdi to waterproof it. When using Denshield you tape the seams with modified latex thinset and for extra waterproofing you can cover the seams and screws with a paintable membrane--not required but allowable. Better yet, check out Schluter's Kerdi installation video. Very easy to do. Can go over regular drywall if you like, i just prefer the concrete backer board.
Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

If the shower hasn't been used, then the only remaining source of condensation is moisture from the inside. Warm air has gotten through the Densboard seame and condensed on the vapour barrier you already have creating a moisture sandwich. Turns the Densboard to mush...

This is true for Alberta, and not necessarily so for, I dunno, New York, Texas, Arkansas, Florida or California...now if I were making a product like Denshield, where would I aim my marketing blurb? Each shower construction is to be treated individually because there are few all-round solutions to problems,

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
denshield