Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #1

Share |

dense felt on my basement walls

I am starting the process of remodeling my basement. A previous homeowner had placed some 3/4 inch styrofoam and some 1x2 strips directly against poured concrete foundation walls and then nailed wallboard onto the strips. The foam appears to be mostly random sized scraps and doesn't cover all of the wall. The 1x2 strips are glued in place and not very secure. It all really needs to be replaced.

While I was removing some of the paneling I found that a large part of the concrete has some dense green felt glued directly to it. It could be decorative (maybe in the late 60's) but it isn't carpet. It's about 1/8" thick and very dense. The styrofoam and strips have been glued directly to the felt.
I think the felt covered the whole wall at one time because there is evidence of trowel marks on the concrete that I presume were created when the glue was applied to secure the felt.

Does anyone know what the felt might be? I'm hoping it is just old decoration that I can discard, but I'm also wondering if it is some kind of vapor barrier or insulation I've never heard of.

On the plus side, my basement doesn't have any moisture problems I've noticed in the 6 years I've lived here. The felt feels dry and there are no signs of mold. There are some cracks that appear to have been repaired long ago.
The house was built in the early 60's and the basement was dug out under the house sometime not too long after that.

My plan is to remove all the old stuff then put 2 inch xps directly against the wall and put studs and paneling over that.

Last edited by dftc; 11-12-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: grammer
dftc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, green felt, walls