Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
the Musigician

Share |
Question

delivery driver-tip?

hi guys!
do you guys tip the delivery drivers from the lumberyards?

just curious.....

thankz!

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #2

delivery driver-tip?

Nope, just a "thank you" is enough. I always offer a cold water or gatorade from the cooler as well.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

delivery driver-tip?

I agree with KC, always offer a cold drink on a hot day. I might consider a couple of bucks towards a burger for lunch if he went way above and beyond what was expected, but I've never seen that kind of service. Most just drop it and go.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

delivery driver-tip?

As contractors, we receive deliveries all the time, and, it is not a general practice to tip drivers.

The exception to this, may be, if a driver "obviously" has gone out of his way to make the delivery (dealt with difficult onsite issues)...or just plain did something that was "above and beyond" what his job required.

Otherwise, if you are just feeling like giving a tip, go right ahead.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #5

delivery driver-tip?

Please don't feed the monkeys.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #6

delivery driver-tip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Please don't feed the monkeys.
mean, mean, mean...
Old 08-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

delivery driver-tip?

No. But i do take care of them around Christmas, I have known these guys for years.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #8

delivery driver-tip?

Well, what happens is that they begin to expect it, and then demand it. Trust me, I have to deal with them all day every day and have for 20 years.

If the driver does something exceptional go ahead and be nice and offer refreshments. They are not waiters working for tips.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #9

delivery driver-tip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Well, what happens is that they begin to expect it, and then demand it. Trust me, I have to deal with them all day every day and have for 20 years.

If the driver does something exceptional go ahead and be nice and offer refreshments. They are not waiters working for tips.
I understand what you are saying. We are constantly catching ourselves with business issues, by using this reminder: "Don't set a precedent..."

In other words...."don't pay out extra, that will then be, expected, with each future transaction or interaction"

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-12-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #10

delivery driver-tip?

for an average home owner I would say no. but there are plenty around here that do. Me, I always take care of the driver and the my salesmen. my salesmen takes my order and schedules my delivery, he goes out of his way to get the material out on the next one leaving, if not he sends a pickup truck,plus he steers most of the walk in customers in my direction. the driver pulls the order and loads his own truck, he goes out of his way to hand pick all my material. they know what i expect of them. so I take care of them at Christmas. its worth it for me. BOB

Last edited by buletbob; 08-12-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #11

delivery driver-tip?

I always tip my delivery guy, But I deal with the same supply house and most of the time the same driver. Twenty bucks goes a long way. I could make a long list of how the delivery guy saved me more than twenty bucks and a broken back. He has set many a power beam in garages for me with the spider. 26 footers, 30 footers. As long as the beam pockets were ready he would lay the power beam in. Engineered joist lifted up to the first floor. I could go on but I won't. If the guy goes out of his way for you, as far as going beyond the curb it's worth a couple of bucks. But you do have to watch them, if you get an inexperienced delivery guy sometimes they try to go too far, You have to tell them that's far enough I don't feel like pulling the spider out of the mud, or something like that. On the other hand if you have a big crew then you don't need the driver to help you out, Just work your laborers like dogs.
James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #12

delivery driver-tip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
for an average home owner I would say no. but there are plenty around here that do. Me, I always take care of the driver and the my salesmen. my salesmen takes my order and schedules my delivery, he goes out of his way to get the material out on the next one leaving, if not he sends a pickup truck,plus he steers most of the walk in customers in my direction. the driver pulls the order and loads his own truck, he goes out of his way to hand pick all my material. they know what i expect of them. so I take care of them at Christmas. its worth it for me. BOB
Actually bob, I would not consider or label that as "delivery tipping". That is more of a yearly-service thankyou (repeated good service), along with the fact that, by your description, they are obviously giving you "personalized service".

Similarly, every year around christmas, I give my businuess partner a list of names (supplier and sales reps, people we do regular business with, etc), and he goes out and drops off little "gifts" to them to thank them for their services in helping us. Some of the gifts are money, some are gifts (holiday liquor gift boxes)...

I do believe in tipping the regular individuals that you do business with, when they "take care of you", and give you regular persoanlized service.
Example: My cabinet maker gets regular tips (dependant on the job). There are times that we need things pronto, and he drops his other orders, to take care of us as his priority. We thank him for that...

It still should never be so often that they expect it. It should always be as a nice - "bonus".

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-13-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #13

delivery driver-tip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Actually bob, I would not consider or label that as "delivery tipping". That is more of a yearly-service thankyou (repeated good service), along with the fact that, by your description, they are obviously giving you "personalized service".

Similarly, every year around christmas, I give my businuess partner a list of names (supplier and sales reps, people we do regular business with, etc), and he goes out and drops off little "gifts" to them to thank them for their services in helping us. Some of the gifts are money, some are gifts (holiday liquor gift boxes)...

I do believe in tipping the regular individuals that you do business with, when they "take care of you", and give you regular persoanlized service.
Example: My cabinet maker gets regular tips (dependant on the job). There are times that we need things pronto, and he drops his other orders, to take care of us as his priority. We thank him for that...

It still should never be so often that they expect it. It should always be as a nice - "bonus".
AH! I understand, Me Anytime I have to reach into my pocket to give money to someone I consider that being a tip Sometimes I wish i had a whole in the pocket. i do agree with you on tipping it can get out of control, when they come to expect it.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
mtm

delivery driver-tip?

I tip the driver if, the receipt says curbside delivery. The driver brings the materials into the house or garage, I reach into my pocket for them.

mtm is offline   Reply With Quote