Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dek Building- pier to post connection- necessary?

hello all,
i find this website to be one of the most informational when it comes to building information.

I am in the process of building a small walk out deck (10 foot joist spans, 16 foot beam/ledger lengths)

the deck will be very low to the ground, with a ledger lagged to the home's first floor sill box, approxiametly 1.5 feet above the ground. on the other side of the deck is a uphill grade.

I am pouring 8' sonitube cement/concrete footings to support the twin 2X10 carrying beams (opposite the side of the home attached ledger).

in standard fashion, the footings will support 4X4 posts attached to the carrying beams

My question is the post to pier attachment. Some say it's better not to attach the posts to the cement. Should the piers sink over time, it would be easier to re -level the deck without pier to post attachment (simply jack the sagging end of the deck and shim the post.

since the deck will be very low and protected by an uphill on one side, and the house on the other, the uplift threat is basically non existent. lateral movement should not be an issue since the deck ledger is lagged to the house.

My brother in law built his own house with a large porch supported without pier to post attachments, he had a pier sink and easily corrected it using the jaclk and shim method.

i was ready to install j bolts in the cement until i spoke with him...so now i ask all of you, which is correct?

i appreciate your thoughts

k man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You shouldn't imbed the posts in the concrete due to the potential for deterioration over time. However, it would be insane to not fasten the posts to the piers somehow.

My advice would be to use an elevated post base. They attach to the pier with an imbedded bolt or a concrete wedge anchor, and essentially capture the post so it can't uplift or shift laterally. If for some odd reason your pier someday sunk, you could re-fit the post base.

I'd recommend these:
http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...BA-ABE-ABU.asp

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by k man View Post
hello all,
lateral movement should not be an issue since the deck ledger is lagged to the house.
That's what this guy thought too.
Attached Images

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
That's what this guy thought too.
Somebody forgot the bolts!!!
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,050

The real mistake the guy made was using a ledger that may or may not have been attached properly.

Even if it was attached correctly, improper flashing (or lack of any flashing) could cause the same type of failure a year or so later.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote