Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #1

Share |

Deffinition of a floating slab

I am searching for an accurate definition of a floating slab and the benifits of having one
Cory Groft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

What are you building? Since you want an accurate definition the specific use and conditions permit similare slabs that are not exactly "floating", but are generally called floating.

A true "floating slab" example would be a garage slab the is poured between stem walls. It is not attached to the stem walls and is supported by the compacted soil beneath it.

The advantages are less of a tendancy to crack since the edges are not tied and the thickness and reinforcement can be less that a typical structural slab.

A basement floor is very similar, but not exactly the same. Much thicker slabs like slab foundations and post-teneioned slabs are also similar, since the soil supports the slab.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #3

Lets use the true definition, would a product that is 3/8" thick continuous vapor barrier acting as a cushion like thin foam products now being used under wood floors have a benefit? The product is called Slab shield.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

You would have to check with the flooring manufacturer to see that the requirements are the materials to use under a wood floor. This will affect any flooring material guarantees.

The term "vapor barrier", which is more correctly referred to as a "vapor retarder" depends on the material AND the thickness.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #5

I apologize I didn't phrase my question clearly. The question is using the flexible foam product under concrete. I know that improves cure time, radon and termite barriers.