Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

deck, wood or composite?

I will build a small deck, 5'x20'. I was thinking use the composite but after read those sites, site one and site two, I was supprised. What's your opinion about this?

diy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

deck, wood or composite?

I cannot stand delicious apples. I don't like the flavor and the texture is annoying. I don't like oranges that do not have navels and even among those that I do I like them at certain diameter.

The problem with these generic apples vs. oranges or composite vs. wood comparisons is nobody establishes the benchmark for the match up. Are we talking crappy box store composite decking against A grade, kiln dried heartwood redwood? Or bottom of the barrel (literally) crappy PT box store, full of knots, warped fir or whatever against some really nice composite materials available out there?

Any deck will come with a set of esthetics you can live with or not.

Wood breathes better I suppose and looks more natural. On the other hand, you don't need to cut down half a forest to build a deck from a quality composite material.

A crappy composite deck is going to be no worse than a low end wood one. And vica versa. Will either last very long without a commitment to maintenance? Granted the maintenance requirements differ. I raced sailboats with both wood and synthetic composite decks. The end of the day, they both took about the same amount of time and money. Let either go and they fail.

Last edited by user1007; 05-13-2012 at 07:59 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
robertcdf (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

deck, wood or composite?

I had a wood deck and didn't take care of it except every 5 years to powerwash off the mildew. Loked like crap for 3 of the 5 years. The powerwasher tore up the wood, too. Going to get composite next time.
puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

deck, wood or composite?

QUALITY cap-layer composite (or maybe QUALITY PVC) just depending upon YOUR environment. Did I say QUALITY? let me say it again QUALITY materials, if it's a good price, on clearance, or otherwise cheap then the old saying comes out "You get what you pay for". Did I say QUALITY material yet?
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote