Deck Supports - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Deck supports

Hi guys. I'm having a 8'x10' shed delivered next week. The shed is a demo that is already assembled, so they're gonna put it on a flat bed and deliver it assembled to my house. They wanted to just drop it on the lawn after leveling it with some patio stones. I can just see this thing sinking into the lawn after a good rain.

So instead, I'm going to install a deck so everythings nice and level and secure and then put the shed on the deck.

I was looking at some free standing deck plans and they show concrete pier blocks being used to put the 4x4 post into. I assume that the concrete piers aren't going to be enough support for a shed though, right? This shed's gotta weight a ton (literally). I mean wouldn't the piers just sink into the mud?

I was thinking that instead of the piers I would dig 4' holes, toss in the 4x4 posts and backfill them with concrete.

Obviously the piers would be a heck of alot easier, but I'm just not sure that they would give the required support for something as heavy as a shed.

If I dig the 4' holes, how wide do they need to be? 10"?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Advertisement

xray328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Deck supports

If you dig the 4' depth holed, which I would definitely suggest....

Just use 'sono' tubes. Minimum of 9" should suffice. 10" would be good. If you plan on serious weight load storage, we always go with 12" tubes on every pier we do... Concrete and tubes are cheap....

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #3

Deck supports

I take it that I can just leave the tubes on? Or will they slip off once the concrete is set?

They said they are going to just angle the flat-bed and slide the shed off onto the deck. I'm not sure how that's gonna work out, I mean I'm guessing that sliding a 8'x10' shed onto an 8'x10' deck is gonna be a little more of a precision job than they're making it out to be. How in the world are they gonna move this thing once its off the flat-bed? The lady I taked to on the phone mentioned something about tubing? You guys ever hear of that?

Should I make the deck the exact footprint of the shed, or a little larger? If larger, how much?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #4

Deck supports

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
I take it that I can just leave the tubes on? Or will they slip off once the concrete is set?
Yes

Quote:
They said they are going to just angle the flat-bed and slide the shed off onto the deck. I'm not sure how that's gonna work out, I mean I'm guessing that sliding a 8'x10' shed onto an 8'x10' deck is gonna be a little more of a precision job than they're making it out to be. How in the world are they gonna move this thing once its off the flat-bed? The lady I taked to on the phone mentioned something about tubing? You guys ever hear of that?
Yes...let them handle it....They must have a system...if they do this for a living...

Maybe this link will be helpful:

http://www.gardensheds.com/delivery.html

Quote:
Should I make the deck the exact footprint of the shed, or a little larger? If larger, how much?
No, do not make it larger. Make it the exact or slightly less (you don't want to create anything that can cause standing water to build up)

Another option: If you are concerned about the shed sliding onto your framework, you can attach PT plywood over the joist frame to create a flat surface for it to 'sit on'.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #5

Deck supports

Thanks for all the help!

Just one more thing for now...

In regards to the sonotubes, do I just put the 4x4's right into the wet concrete, or fill the tube with concrete and use metal anchors to connect the concrete to the posts after the concrete dries (like street lights)?

Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:12 AM   #6

Deck supports

Quote:
Thanks for all the help!

Just one more thing for now...

In regards to the sonotubes, do I just put the 4x4's right into the wet concrete, or fill the tube with concrete and use metal anchors to connect the concrete to the posts after the concrete dries (like street lights)?

Thanks again!
You can do it either way....
Tho, I would suggest:

Tip - add a little Portland cement to the mixture.

Attach the posts to the concrete by installing a 'J' bolt into the center of the concrete when you pour it.
Set the 'J' bolt to the proper depth and after it dries, use 'simpson strong-tie' post brackets to attach your posts. the psot brackets get attached to the 'J' bolt using galvanized washers and nuts. (You can find all this stuff in the deck hardware section of most home stores)

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-17-2007 at 08:30 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote