Deck Support Beam Has Twisted - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck support beam has twisted

Located in Southern California. Doug Fir used on support frame. Project finished in December of 2006. Frame painted after completion.

I have a new 2nd story deck that is 24 x 10. The joists are 6x4's and are attached to a ledger board with joist hangers. They rest on the support beam which is 6x8. There are 3 6x6 support posts. One of the beams has twisted at the end to create a gap you can get the tip of your little finger under between the top of the post and the cap.The gap faces outward away from the deck .Through bolts were used to secure the post to the beam. The post has not split at the bolt sites. The post is slighlty off center now. The deck boards are Mangaris. The twisting seems to have subsided. The deck is very stable at this time. Do you have any suggestions for increasing the strength/integrity of the compromised joint?

Highest regards, Brian Ward

Advertisement

Brian Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Could you post a picture of how the post and beam are connected now. It sounds like you could put a steel plate on each side of the post but you said they are through bolted already so I am not sure if you already have steel plates installed.

Advertisement

warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Beam Pics
Attached Images

Brian Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Yep you already have the metal plate. I have not found anything you can really do at this point. You could beef up the bracket it it makes you feel better however I do not think you have a major problem. It does not look as clean and neat but It is not going anywhere with that bracket on there. Wood is wood and the stuff will twist.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Something moved. How is the deck attached to the house? Is the post still plumb? This could be a warning sign.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

if the rest of the deck is still sound how about putting up some temp supports and unbolting the post and replacing it.It looks from the photo like it may be splitting under the plate,cant tell for sure from the pic. and mind you this is just a suggestion if the rest of it is still solid.It maybe that the wood just twisted or something may have moved to put undo stress on it

Advertisement

Last edited by clasact; 07-27-2007 at 12:05 PM. Reason: I cant speel woth a dang
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote