Deck Support ? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 89

Deck support ?

Hey Guys

We recently moved our cottage onto a poured foundation/knee wall. As such out "front door" will be about 4ft above grade, we planned on building steps up to a deck that will run across the front of the cottage. It will be about 22ft by 10ft and eventually we are going to put a small (4x6) hot tub on the deck. I was wondering how I needed to modify my deck to support the tub? Would 4x4 do or do I need 6x6's for support?
I only have about 12" of dirt, then you hit SOLID limestone. So I had planned on drilling into the rock and putting rebar in the holes then filling sonotubes with concrete to anchor it, any thoughts?

Advertisement

n2omichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

Deck support ?

If you live in an area where you need to build to code, you start by finding out which code you have to build to. Your local building inspector will be happy to help you understand what the code is for your area. If you don't need a permit, and don't need to follow code, you may still want to design following the Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide (http://www.awc.org/publications/dca/dca6/dca6-09.pdf).

That said, putting a hot tub on a deck is beyond the code, so the best way to design for the tub would be to determine the actual loads from the selected hot tub model, and check the joists, beams and posts for adequate capacity. It is impossible to size these elements without detailed knowledge about the deck design and geometry, and the size of the hot tub.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (07-12-2013), roofingquotes (07-12-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 664

Deck support ?

A few other things to avoid future issues. That decks going to have to be at least 4" (may be more by local codes) below any door openings.
It's best to build this free standing so the siding will not be effected.
Never have the decking in contact with the side of the house.
A hot tub on a front deck, Hmm not the best plan.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Deck support ?

Its good that you know the local codes in building in your area. The first thing you should put in mind before building.
roofingquotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #5

Deck support ?

Deck is being built at my cottage on an Island, to say by laws and regulations are "flexible" would be an enormous understanding, as compared to building in a subdivision or urban area. I suppose I could attempt to find a building inspector on the mainland and ask.

I was more interested in building ideas and structural ideas for the framing and supports, as for the hot tub, many people (including myself) have tubs on there BACK decks, so, I don't see the issue with having one on the front deck if built right.

I will talk to a local carpenter and see what he says, Thanks

Michael
Old 07-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 776

Deck support ?

One good thing you have going for you is that you have rock that close to the surface. You could actually pour 4 sonotubes (fairly large diameter) that would come up to directly support the joists to support the hot tub. This would give an extremely strong support.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #7

Deck support ?

Yes, that's kinda what I was thinking, or even use metal I beam for a lentil under the hot tub. The tub itself is very small, especially by today's standards, it's technically a four person tub, but. Really 2 people is more accurate.

Appreciate the input! sonotubes are SO damn ugly, but, I can hide them with lattice or shrubs, or maybe an old decripet car, lol

Advertisement