Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Deck structure question

I have a PT deck that is 16'x18'. One 16' edge is attached to the house, and the rest of the deck is supported by two 6x6 posts and a 6x6 beam about 15' from the house. The joists run from the house to the beam, and then extend over the beam.

Over the years (15), the beam has sagged in the middle. The two posts are in about 2' from each end of the beam, and the middle has sagged about 2-3". It's very visible from the bottom of the deck. It's not noticeable when you're standing on the deck.

I'm sure I could jack the middle of the beam up and insert a third post, but I'm thinking that the bend in the beam isn't just going to straighten out. After 15 years in the weather, the droop is permanent.

I could also jack up the end of the deck and replace the beam with another 6x6 or laminate three (or four) 2x6s into a new beam. This would also require me to replace the ledger board at the outside edge of the deck, since it must have sagged to match the beam.

Any thoughts? I'd like to replace the floor boards with composite at the same time, and the beam repair would be easier when the floor is off.

Rick

houseinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Deck structure question

What size are the deck joists ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,050

Deck structure question

The ledger should not have deflected if it was attached to the house properly. If you can run a line of the ledger and find a deflection, you better look at ledger attachment since few are installed properly when it comes to moisture, weather, mold and rot.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Deck structure question

You could add a new post and cut the beam there to circumvent the memory problem of the wood. Codes changed a lot in the last 15 years... Here is the new Deck Guild most Building Departments are following: http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf
It covers joist span, beam size and span, ledger attachment, footings, posts, etc. If you have any more questions that aren't listed there, ask away. http://www.ideas-for-deck-designs.co...ite_decks.html

Be safe, Gary
Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #5

Deck structure question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
What size are the deck joists ?
2x8, 16"OC. The ledger board attached to the house is straight. The rim joist that runs along the end of the joists droops about the same as the beam.

Last edited by houseinthewoods; 06-13-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #6

Deck structure question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Codes changed a lot in the last 15 years...
Ouch. My joist span is 11'6", longer than the current code specifies. Looks like the joists extend past the beam further than they should, too. The joists themselves are straight as arrows, no sagging at all.

Cutting the beam in the middle and adding a post there might be the best solution. Thanks!