Deck Stairs And Rail Post Back Blocking - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck stairs and rail post back blocking

What I'm trying to do:
I'm adding a small 36" triangular addition off the corner of my deck to add a set of stairs coming off at 45 degrees and 36" in width, and total rise of approximately 32".

What I've done:
The existing rim joist I'm tying into has an interesting construction composed of a 2x8 rim joist on the outside, another 2x6 on the inside, and finally a 4x6 beam that sits on 4x6 piers and ties into the house at the other end. I attached a new 2x8 PT as a ledger with 8 - 1/2" by 5 1/2" lag screws and washers at ~15" apart, then 45 degree joist hangers and 2x8 PT were used to construct the triangular platform from which the stringers will come off of. I've used joist hangers along with Simpson HDG 10D 3" and 1 1/2" for all the 2x8 connections.

I'm planning on supporting the right corner of the addition with a 4x4 PT post with poured concrete (sonotube) and post bracket. From what I've read it seems most agree that the preferred method is to back block the post and run 2 carriage bolts through each one of my rim joists, post and back block (4 total bolts), or perhaps more favorably through bolts or LedgerLOKs. It seems there are varying opinions on this. I've been leaning towards 1/2" through bolts.

My questions:
1. Comments or suggestions on overall design and tying into existing rim joists and beam?

2. How should the back blocking be constructed/attached? Joist hangers required? 2x4 or 2x8? Do I have the right idea in my drawing?

Clearly I'm not a licensed contractor or professional deck builder. But I'm hoping with enough research, careful planning and basic DIY knowledge I can build a set of safe and sturdy stairs off my existing deck.

I appreciate any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Deck stairs and rail post back blocking-deck-stairs.jpg  

Advertisement

dwichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

I kind of like the idea. Too many of us just follow the herd.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Would be great if someone could give me some info on blocking the post. If nailing is sufficient or if I need to use joist hangers.

Thanks.
dwichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I think I would do it something like this with a ledger, angled blocks, and through-bolts. (Use your imagination where I didn't draw realistic bolts.)

Double up the existing edge 2x if you feel the need.
Attached Thumbnails
Deck stairs and rail post back blocking-corner-deck-1.jpg   Deck stairs and rail post back blocking-corner-deck-2.jpg   Deck stairs and rail post back blocking-corner-deck-3.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 05-28-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Old School

This is about how I would envision it. You'd have to play around with it some to get both the handrail posts where you want them... notched to hold the corner, and all that. (One is not shown, of course.)

Maybe set them outside the triangle... next to the stringers?
Attached Thumbnails
Deck stairs and rail post back blocking-corner-deck-4.jpg   Deck stairs and rail post back blocking-corner-deck-5.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 05-28-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Old School

Here's a couple of more thoughts....
Attached Thumbnails
Deck stairs and rail post back blocking-corner-deck-6.jpg  

Advertisement

Tags
deck , post , stringer