Deck Stair Stringer Footings - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

deck stair stringer footings

As I am working on my deck design I keep coming back to how I want to secure my stair stringers at gound level. My deck design is going to include a full set of stairs on all sides, except for the side against my house. For the rest of the deck I am placing 4 ft deep footers in the ground, but I am unsure as to the best way to support the stringers on the side opposite of the deck (ground level). I don't want to use just the ground to support.

Should I place a concrete post at each stringer (would be alot since I have 47 stringers in total?

Should I place a concret post every X ft and run a beam between the posts that the stringers will sit on?

Thoughts and help is appreciated.

Advertisement

EPERRINGTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 516

Are we talking about the end of the stringer where it reaches the ground? I just dug a rectangle, a little larger than the bottom step, about 4-6" deep. Filled with concrete and leveled it. Sloped just a bit so water wouldn't pool. The end of the tringer rests directly on it. If your stringers are so long that you feel the need to support midway, I'd just pour footings like the deck has and use a post to the bottom.

Advertisement

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,068

Notice the maximum span for cut stringers for table 1 species in fig.28, and more than a pad is required when using a guardrail for the 200# side resistance per code (Fig. 33,34); http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

Gary