Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Newbie Bill

Share |

Deck stair stringer attachment

Hey Gang,

I need some input. I am building cascading stairs very similar to those in the picture below. I am using the simpson LSC adjustable stair stringer connector to attach the stringers to the rim joist.

I'm a little stumped on the best way to install the stringer that occurs right on the 45 degree corners. Circled area on picture.

If I use one stringer on the corner, I could cut a 45 degree V shape into the part of the stringer that rests against the rim joist or I could use 2 stringers nailed together with a 22.5 degree cut on each one to create the V. Any suggestions?

I want to use the same (or similar) Simpson tie to connect the stringer to the joist and am thinking that using two stringers would give me more meat to connect to.

One challenge I have is on the inside of the joists at those 45 degree corners are simpson connectors. So whatever I do to connect the stringer has to avoid those connectors on the inside of the joists.

Any words of wisdom?
Attached Images

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Newbie Bill

Never mind guys I figured it out on my own.

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

can you share your final resolution?
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Newbie Bill

Instead of using the simpson connectors on the other stringers, I fastened them to a 2X10. Sort of like of like its own header or joist (not sure if this is the right terminology) and then screwed that header to the rim joist. Very solid and much easier to get level.

Then I used my sawsall and trimmed the rim joist at the corners to create a 1.5 inch flat spot where I can attach simpson strapping to the joist. That strapping will wrap under the stringer and provide some vertical support. I have to put additional blocking at the top step to tie that stringer to the adjacent stringers to provide extra support.

That just leaves me the angled stringers to figure out and then cut. The run on these stringers is going to be longer than the 10.5 inches on my other stringers due to the angles and then I want to cut the face of the rise in a v shape to facilitate the attachment of the risers.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #5

Sounds like a well thought out solution. Post a pic before you put the treads and risers on.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #6

By the way. way before Simpson came out with their costly solution to a nonexistant problem we were building and installing stair stingers.

I have never had a stair failure and have yet to ever use a Simpson product to install one.

Just because they make them doesn't mean you need to use them.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to framer52 For This Useful Post:
hand drive (10-04-2012), mae-ling (10-04-2012), Willie T (05-29-2012), woodworkbykirk (10-04-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
Newbie Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
By the way. way before Simpson came out with their costly solution to a nonexistant problem we were building and installing stair stingers.

I have never had a stair failure and have yet to ever use a Simpson product to install one.

Just because they make them doesn't mean you need to use them.

LOL, very good point Framer. It just took me awhile to get there.

I will use some simpson strapping to help with those last two stringers.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #8

We are also trying to build these steps can u tell me how you formulated the corner stringers so that you get the perfect angle thanks
Geokeiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

when im building stairs i build them as a unit with a 2x4 notched into the top of the stringers and bottom then screwed toghether.. with blocking attached to the ribbon which hangs down off it. .simpy lift the stair unit into place and screw it to the blocking through the 2x4 cleat

woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote