Deck Screw In Drywall? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Deck screw in drywall?

I was in the middle of drywalling my addition last night when I ran out of drywall screws. There wasn't a local hardware store open, so I switched to a 1 5/8" deck screw (phillips, sort of green in color). Used it on about a sheet and a half.

The shape of the screw is nearly identicle, just wondering if anyone knows if I will have a problem down the road? To be honest, they actually drove in a little bit nicer

TIA

Advertisement

Ininkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Deck screw in drywall?

dont think its a problem but deck screws have a thicker shank it mite reduce its holding power in relitively soft sheet rock, im sure more smarter men than me can help you here tho

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

Deck screw in drywall?

I say no problem. Been there done that.

Deck screws are a little fatter than drywall screws so there is a slightly bigger chance of splitting the wood behind if you are using furring strips instead of fastening directly to studs. Also may crumble the drywall more when you are fastening the edge although you may alleviate this by drilling pilot holes. Deck screws are also a little more expensive, at least where I live.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-23-2009 at 10:31 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Deck screw in drywall?

Cool, thanks a lot.

I think you are right on the cost, I'm sure these were more expensive.

Ininkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Deck screw in drywall?

Screws are screws, as long as they pull the drywall tight to the framing member you should be fine...