Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #1

Share |

Deck to screened porch support change

The original plan was to add a deck, 16' parallel to the house and 14' out. Simple rectangle except for 45 degree corners. It is over a walk out basement, so I was trying to limit the amount of posts. Just for the deck I had a ledger attachment, then a 4x10 beam at 12' supported by 6x6 posts. This left a 2' cantilever. All according to local code spans.

I want to change the standard deck to a screened porch. Same dimensions and design (angled corners). What is the best way to minimize the number of posts and still have adequate support?
eram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

You may not have to change anything. If the original design was acceptable to your local AHJ, the new plan may not require any changes to the framing if the AHJ agrees that the loads are the same. I recommend you talk to your local building inspector, after all you are going to need a permit from them, plus inspections, so best to talk first, build later.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #3

Why a 4 X 10 beam (I guess you really mean ledger, not a beam) and not doubled up 2 X 10's?
It would be stronger and less likely to sag, twist and check.
Adding a roof and walls may change the requirements to meet code.
A lot depends on your location which was not included in you profile.
To edit your profile just go to quick links to edit.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #4

I have a permit under the standard deck guidelines. Was hoping to get the deck up and then have a contractor for the roof after getting that permitted. There is an open decking part of the design as well. Thought I could build the support structure to handle the roof as i built the deck, assume that would be more than standard deck guidelines.

I meant doubled 2x10s for the beam. I am in Virginia, not too much snow or big winds. But this will be 10ft off the ground.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
You may not have to change anything. If the original design was acceptable to your local AHJ, the new plan may not require any changes to the framing if the AHJ agrees that the loads are the same. I recommend you talk to your local building inspector, after all you are going to need a permit from them, plus inspections, so best to talk first, build later.
The loads will definitely not be the same, they will be considerably higher! You will have snow load considerations as well as the additional weight of the roof framing, decking and roofing. The load will probably double or close to that.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #6

I talked to the permit office and it sounds like I can double up the joists on each side and have a flush beam parallel to the house.

My question now is how to notch the 4 posts on the cut corners to take two sets of doubled 2x10s coming in on an angle?
Attached Thumbnails
Deck to screened porch support change-deck.jpg