Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #1

Share |

deck railing suggestion

I have finished framing my deck, which needs railing. My questions - 1-would you suggest installing the railing posts on the interior or exterior of the deck frame? and 2- Would you install the posts before adding the deck boards? I am trying to get your advice on "esae of installation" (and to serve the true purpose of the railing- security from falling!).

Using composite decking. Anything else you need to know, please let me know!

thanks in advance,
Adam

redroc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #2

deck railing suggestion

Your railing posts should be notched into the rim joist of the deck to really make them secure. Bolt to the rim joist. The benefit of notching the post is that you can make the outside of the post flush with the outside of the deck.

Of course you can't put the decking down until your posts are in....Unless you want the finished product to be junk.

Mounting the posts to the top of the deck should not be even considered as an option.

Plan on adding some blocking around the posts at top-of-joist level to facilitate attachment of the ends of the deck boards that stop at or wrap around the posts.

To meet code your finished guardrail must resist a 200 pound lateral load (leaning against it). To do that it had better be nice and solid.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #3

deck railing suggestion

http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6.pdf

1- states NOT to notch
2- I stated I was using composite wood. If you have seen a composite 4x4 post, they are hollow, so I dont see how notching would work anyway
3- I will be blocking.

Thanks for your help on putting the posts up 1st.

A
redroc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #4

deck railing suggestion

You said (in your post) you were using composite decking, nothing said about railing. If you have the hollow post sleeves, you will need a surface post mounting kit, or you will slip the composite post over a 4x4. It would depend on what brand I guess.

How high off the ground is your deck?
my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck railing, railing