Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #1

Share |

Deck railing posts on DIY horse farm deck

I am building an 80 foot deck on 2 sides of my house.I am at a standstill with the railing design.I do plan on locking it in by bolting and blocking the posts inside the joists.My question is since my deck is 1 story off the ground are cedar 4x4 posts strong enough ? They seem awful wimpy with their liteweight.I watched DIY decked out on the horse farm deck and the built up posts looked great,but they never went into any detail on them.I am also using the black aluminnum spindles.Are the dekorator railing U type attachment brackets good enough ? I just hate wobbly posts and railings.I want rigid but great looking . Thanks for any help.

milkie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #2

How tall are your joist? 2x10, 2x12 ?

CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
Renovations contractor

Some lumber yards you can get 5x5 posts and depending where you get your 4x4 posts they may only be 3.5"x3.5" ... Bigger is definitely stronger. Often comes down to budget. Also if you go for posts every 6' instead of 8' it will be so much stronger even with 4x4 posts.

A 'T' top handrail also adds significant strength.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #4

My joists are 2x10. Thinking of going with p.t. 4x4 and boxing outside with cedar ----2 sides flush and 2 sides overhanging slightly and router with round over bit. Do you think i will have any issues with boxing in the posts.I am going approx 66" between posts for symmetrical look out front.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

4x4 cedar posts are strong enough, the key to success is proper connection detail of the posts to the rim joists. Presumably you are pulling a permit, and are following code. The International Residential Code prescriptive guide to deck design includes very good details concerning proper attachment technique for the railings, if you follow the details you should be OK. Of course you should discuss the design with your building inspector before construction, they may have some ideas, and there may be local variations on attachment technique.

As for the Dekorator aluminum posts, the plastic spindle posts attachments top and bottom work fine.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #6

I was asking about the aluminum channel holders for the rails ,not thhe spindle holders.Guess I was alittle vague on what I was talking about.I subscribe to deck builders mag and there is a great issue on post attachment that I am following.Thanks for the input.... Ed

Any other input is apppreciated thanks in advance..