Deck Questions - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Deck Questions

Here's my deck

Couple questions:

1) We can feel a bit of sway on the top deck when the kids are running around. Can I add some bracing/gussets to the posts to stiffen it up a bit?

2) The lower deck has posts on deck blocks that have been buried in the dirt and are rotting pretty badly. You might also notice the lack of railings. Would I be able to tie into the upper deck posts (front/rear plates, joist hangers...?) instead? Would this also serve to stiffen up the top deck?

Thanks in advance for any opinions,

Shawn

Advertisement

burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Deck Questions

Indeed, knee braces at the posts will help, but also, diagonal bracing between joists will also assist in removing the swaying you feel now.
Start the diagonal bracing at the house and run it on a 45 degree angle towards the outer rim joist. One line in each direction would be best.

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Deck Questions

Thanks jlhaslip,

Are you talking a single board on the bottom surface of the joists running diagonally?

Anyone else with any thoughts on whether I can tie the bottom deck into the posts for the top deck? If it's ok, would I be better off sistering an extended joist on or running new?
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote