Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81
Question

Deck Question

So the previous owner of my home used some sort of rhino liner looking paint on the deck. Looked GREAT when we bought it a few months ago, now it's just falling apart, uncomfortable to sit on, looks ugly/fadeing, and it's only been a few summer months.

I was thinking of sanding the entire deck ( 16x16 feet possibly) and then staining it?

Is that wise, or should I just leave it? Another gripe, the deck has two places in the ground it's held, and it is all under the ground level, so I assume it's going to rot at some point (the deck's probably original, so 30 years old or so).

Should I dig it up around the holds and see if there is any cement underneath?

vivithemage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,066

Deck Question

Hard to advise without pictures, but in general, I wouldn't waste a dime or a minute on a deck that's 30 years old. It's already on borrowed time. If you don't live in a very dry area, most don't last half that long unless they're made of something like redwood. Regular pressure-treated lumber, forget it. And unless your joists are at least 2x10s, you're seriously overspanned.

md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #3

Deck Question

That is why I think they put this rhino liner on ... to give it just a few more years.

I am down for replacing the deck, just don't have 4-6k to do it right now! so I was thinking of something to give it a few more years yet.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,018

Deck Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
So the previous owner of my home used some sort of rhino liner looking paint on the deck. Looked GREAT when we bought it a few months ago, now it's just falling apart, uncomfortable to sit on, looks ugly/fadeing, and it's only been a few summer months.
sounds like something was done to make it look nice until the closing was completed.

decks built at ground level never hold up over time as the joists tend to twist and warp (top of joist dries by sun, bottom expands due to higher moisture content).

if you have a ground level deck I'd replace it with a patio (pavers, concrete slab), or combination of the two.

you may want to edit your profile to include your location as your physical location determines the best way to do things sometimes.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #5

Deck Question

luckily it's about a story high, and the joists are never exposed to sun....so the deck feels solid as heck...i'll have to take a pic.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Deck Question

~30 year old deck that I looked at today. They thought everything was ok for a few more years... Till they pulled a few deck boards.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #7

Deck Question

ooof!

any recommendation on type of board if I was to replace the deck entirely?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Deck Question

I sell a ton of steel framing and Fiberon Horizon composite and a powder coated steel railing. That package lasts a long time with the only thing needed to be done is regular cleaning.

robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote