DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Deck Question

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  robertcdf 
#1 ·
So the previous owner of my home used some sort of rhino liner looking paint on the deck. Looked GREAT when we bought it a few months ago, now it's just falling apart, uncomfortable to sit on, looks ugly/fadeing, and it's only been a few summer months.

I was thinking of sanding the entire deck ( 16x16 feet possibly) and then staining it?

Is that wise, or should I just leave it? Another gripe, the deck has two places in the ground it's held, and it is all under the ground level, so I assume it's going to rot at some point (the deck's probably original, so 30 years old or so).

Should I dig it up around the holds and see if there is any cement underneath?

#2 ·
Hard to advise without pictures, but in general, I wouldn't waste a dime or a minute on a deck that's 30 years old. It's already on borrowed time. If you don't live in a very dry area, most don't last half that long unless they're made of something like redwood. Regular pressure-treated lumber, forget it. And unless your joists are at least 2x10s, you're seriously overspanned.

#4 ·
So the previous owner of my home used some sort of rhino liner looking paint on the deck. Looked GREAT when we bought it a few months ago, now it's just falling apart, uncomfortable to sit on, looks ugly/fadeing, and it's only been a few summer months.
sounds like something was done to make it look nice until the closing was completed.

decks built at ground level never hold up over time as the joists tend to twist and warp (top of joist dries by sun, bottom expands due to higher moisture content).

if you have a ground level deck I'd replace it with a patio (pavers, concrete slab), or combination of the two.

you may want to edit your profile to include your location as your physical location determines the best way to do things sometimes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.