Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck Question

I currently have a deck that is 22 feet wide and 16 feet deep. This was built by the owner before I bought the house. My question is 22 foot boards are not available so they used a 10 foot and 12 foot but when they butted them together they toe nailed 4 nails 2 into each board and the wood rotted away around the nails. Underneath are 2x10 boards. I'm wondering what is the proper way to butt these together and nail them so this doesn't happen again. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Question-patio-floor.jpg  

fasthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

Deck Question

you can cut back either side of that rot seam to the next floor joists and cut the old rot out and replace with a new stick of lumber same size... pull up the nails and make square cuts directly center over top the joists or off center a tiny bit to avoid the nails if possible.

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Deck Question

Actually I was thinking about installing all new deck boards but I was wondering what the best way to nail down the boards that are butted against each other. They have 4 nails into the 2x10 and I was wondering if I could use a wider board instead of the 2x10 or if I should install 2 2x10 next together so that I could put 2 nails in each board so that the center doesn't rot apart. I think the problem is two many nails in such a small place.
fasthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,002

Deck Question

I agree with your idea to just replace the decking.... it looks "adious" to me.

That nailing pattern is quite normal.... woods just extreemly old and apparently uncarred for.

I always use screws, and predrill (prevents a splitting tendency on board ends.) Also depending on your decking material and final finish, you may want to paint or dip your end cuts in a preservative before install.

Can't guess at your pocketbook or cosmetic considerations, but you may want to consider some of the composits. Wood decks, especially with the crap redwood available today, are extreemly maintence intensive, at least here in Co. (I have to refinish every two/three years out here, and I have pretty good redwood, heavily culled, from stock available 25 years ago)

Best

Peter
Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,020

Deck Question

I never use nails when building a deck in the decking boards.
Ceramic coated decking screws or Stainless only.
Nails tend to pull out to easy.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,002

Deck Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I never use nails when building a deck in the decking boards.
Ceramic coated decking screws or Stainless only.
Nails tend to pull out to easy.
I appreciate and applaud Joe's attention to quality in regard to the screws he advises. They are nice....

But as a cost consideration they are expensive if you have alot of decking. I have 25 year old decks put down with the gold plated screws (only thing really available back then) and they have been fine... even had to reset some for sanding the deck several years ago... no problem.

However, if you are using acq treated framing lumber ( the kind that eats normal screws) then you do need stainless or the Simpson type Z plating.

Best
Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

Deck Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasthog View Post
Actually I was thinking about installing all new deck boards but I was wondering what the best way to nail down the boards that are butted against each other. They have 4 nails into the 2x10 and I was wondering if I could use a wider board instead of the 2x10 or if I should install 2 2x10 next together so that I could put 2 nails in each board so that the center doesn't rot apart. I think the problem is two many nails in such a small place.

To help hold the deck boards down long term the more nails/screws at the seams the better IMO. without them the decking will curl upward and be a trip hazard. Best to get quality decking with lots of treatment to hold up long term and nailed/screwd really good to hold it down to the framing.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Deck Question

Cutting back to the next joists to get rid of the rotted butt ends is a necessity. You can get more rot resistance in the new wood as well as the fresh-cut ends by soaking Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer into both the new and old wood before installation...and the top of the joists below may have some rot starting. If minor, that stuff will find the rot and soak in, and can stabilize the wood so it resists further rot really well. You can find it and the company on-line.
Pro Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 290

Deck Question

I use galvy ring nails if I'm not using hidden fasteners. Never had them pull out, and they can flex with the deck rather than snapping like screws often do. A hell of a lot faster than screws. On butt ends I toe nail two on the outer ends of one board and two a bit farther in on the butting board. That way the nails are biting into a different part of the joist. I always pre-drill on the butts or anywhere else where a nail will be an inch or less from an edge.

Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote