Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #1

Share |

Deck Post Cracks

I have a deck that was built August of last year. Yesterday when I was cleaning the yard, I noticed cracks on the deck post. The crack is on all of the sides of the post, a minimum of 0.5 inch deep and maximum is 1.5 inches. The size of the post is 6x6, 2 of are bending(I think). What's the allowable crack size for a 6x6 post? Will this be an issue in a couple of months? Thanks.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2a7sxhe.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/1cc39.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ememav.jpg

judexromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Deck Post Cracks

You didn't give your location, which will matter later. From the photos (Thanks for those) I'll say: Welcome to the World of Pressure Treated Southern Yellow Pine. This is a very common trait of this wood and particularly after being pressure treated. In my area this PT wood is used for almost all outside projects and I would say 40% of these post, regardless of size or load rating, will show cracks within one year. These cracks DO NOT tend to enlarge after they first appear. Strange, it seems they just happen overnight and they are there for life. I've had customers call me back and want me to fill them in because they are unsightly, I agree they are. But, I have found nothing to use which will blend in properly and not be unsightly in itself. The only issue I would warn against, and this depends on area, would be freezing of water which may get into these cracks. Understandably water freezing in these cracks will expand them even further which may lead to a structural/load rating problem. Do you ever plan on painting these post? If so, I would fill in the cracks and paint over them. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #3

Deck Post Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
You didn't give your location, which will matter later. From the photos (Thanks for those) I'll say: Welcome to the World of Pressure Treated Southern Yellow Pine. This is a very common trait of this wood and particularly after being pressure treated. In my area this PT wood is used for almost all outside projects and I would say 40% of these post, regardless of size or load rating, will show cracks within one year. These cracks DO NOT tend to enlarge after they first appear. Strange, it seems they just happen overnight and they are there for life. I've had customers call me back and want me to fill them in because they are unsightly, I agree they are. But, I have found nothing to use which will blend in properly and not be unsightly in itself. The only issue I would warn against, and this depends on area, would be freezing of water which may get into these cracks. Understandably water freezing in these cracks will expand them even further which may lead to a structural/load rating problem. Do you ever plan on painting these post? If so, I would fill in the cracks and paint over them. David

Thanks David. I'm from MD, which snow/ice is a problem. I don't worry now with cracks, but bending/wrapping is a different issue. Hope I can get a patch for those cracks, what do you recommend? Thanks.
judexromo is offline   Reply With Quote