Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #1

Share |

Deck Plans - seeking comments

hi peoples!

I am drafting out some deck plans and thought I would solicit feedback. Wrap around deck consists of a covered mud room (~5x12), which is on the same level as party area deck (10x16) and lookout (5x7) and a raised sunning area (8x9).

Here are my concept drawings. Just keep in mind the following:
  1. Trying to design for high load factor
  2. Beams are shown resting on metal bracket, but actually there will be 4x4 posts ~6" tall (not shown yet)
  3. I will have to sister beams & overlap josts together since longest beam I can get easily is 16'.
  4. I don't have a good reason for the strange dimensions, I know this will cost me more due to some waste material.

The following concept drawings were created using Google Sketchup.

Knucklez

Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Looks good to me - I like your use of the program and attention to detail. . all come in handy as you're building - especially if you needs others to help you out.

Consider one thing though: the party and sunning deck nudge up against the house without gutters or protective covering. Will this pose problems - if so - how will you deal with those?

Old 12-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #3

shouldn't be a problem.

there are gutters along the roof line at the back, i just didn't draw it correct. where the gutter downspout comes down I will have to cut out the flooring and maybe box it out in the frame so the flooring remains strong to stand on right beside the downspout.

thanks for the support!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

I don't see any plans, just design intent.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Disabled wood vet

What kind of comments do you want? Go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back if you want to.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
What kind of comments do you want? Go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back if you want to.
A pat on the back for doing what?

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #7

I would make the open deck on the side free standing so there's 0 chance of damage to the house.
Why the step downs on the side deck, and not all on one level to make the deck area seem larger, use less materials, easyer to frame and more usable.
A bunch of small decks does not make laying out chairs and tables very easy.
Looks like with that program you can add furniture, try it and see what it looks like.

Last edited by joecaption; 12-07-2011 at 09:00 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
Military Mom of 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I would make the open deck on the side free standing so there's 0 chance of damage to the house.
Why the step downs on the side deck and not all on one level to make the deck area seem larger less materials, easyer to frame and more usable.
You mean: if it was all on one level it would be easier to frame and more usable.

I wanted a multi-level deck so I could have my clearly defined space and the dogs could have theirs - the kids theirs - and me and my quicker liquor could stooper in peace.
Willie T (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
A pat on the back for doing what?

Andy.
For knowing what they're doing.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #10

The reason I mentioned the differnat levels is I built one just like the one you drew for a customer. I suggest making the changes and they said no. The next year I was back making it level due to someone falling in the dark (you can buy low voltage lighting that mounts in the risers) and they hated not being able to lay enough chairs out.
It's your deck and you need to build it the way you want it, and cool design program.
I use a cheap one from Big Hammer. It not only does the design and can show it in three diffeant views with even the footing lay out, and rail designs, but also can print out a materials list based on Home Depots prices and UPC codes.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #11

Remember to change the gable-end window glazing to safety glass...

Gary
Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #12

In my opinion (been specializing in decks for 8 years) I would also ditch the multi levels. Unless your deck is 1,000 sq ft, you don't want to split it up. You loose 3' each side of a level change (3' + 3' + 3' + 3'= 12') I'm not joking, ditch the level changes. They make a project "look cool" but they are highly impractical.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robertcdf For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I like it. But I would eliminate the back door, and lower the elevated part behind the mud room. I would, instead, do the step-down at the side door of the mud room, start a deck walk-around there at the level of the main deck, and have ALL that area as one large, square, low level deck. That area where the deck jogs back in is really totally lost area. The only possible elevated place for me (and I'm not too sure I would have even that raised due to the 3' loss rule.) would be over there between the spa and the house because that main deck, right now, seems far too confined.

If you could post a SKP file, we could play with it for you.

Shown below is a fair-sized deck, right at 2,500 sf., but look at all the lost space around the elevation changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Plans - seeking comments-img_0082.jpg   Deck Plans - seeking comments-img_0097.jpg   Deck Plans - seeking comments-img_0099.jpg   Deck Plans - seeking comments-img_0098.jpg   Deck Plans - seeking comments-img_0102.jpg  

Deck Plans - seeking comments-img_0073.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 12-08-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #14

thanks for the comments, exactly what i was looking for. concept stuff. i hear you about the multilevel decks, but my wife has this vision...

she pictures an "egg shapped lounger" up there. dunno, but she is set on it.

i like the idea about low voltage lighting to highlight the step up. and the entire deck is free floating, no attaching to the house. the ground around the foundation is 100+ years settled so no problem building on it.

the jetted out part on the right (just outside the mud room) does not extend all the way to the length of the rest of the deck because there is a small tree there. also, there is a massive stone patio that surround the deck which will provide good setting room. i haven't drawn this part in yet.

the mud room is screened in, no glass. the roof is plexi glass to let the sun in, that roofing stuff which is wavy or corrugated (also comes in tin).

Last edited by Knucklez; 12-08-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote