Deck Plans-Input Wanted - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Custom User Title

Rewards Points: 252

Deck Plans-Input wanted

Here are some pics of the deck plans that I'm going to build this spring. Please check it out and provide input. Let me know if you have any questions.

Plan view:

Framing view:

Beam 1 and 2:

Candle Wall:

Advertisement

no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Deck Plans-Input wanted

A candle wall, that is different. I like the idea.

On the deck, I could not tell how high above grade the deck is, from scaling it looks like it is only a few inches, in which case you probably do not need guard rails, check with the local building inspector. You might not need hand rails on the steps either, again local inspector call.

If I understand the plans correctly, you plan to bury the posts about 3 feet in the ground. This is not a good idea, even PT lumber will rot in direct contact with soil, unless it is the special ground contact treated lumber, but why use it, just bring the footings 6 inches above grade and go from there using a galvanized standoff base.

You should check local codes, in my area the minimum post size is 6x6, although they might make an exception for such a short post. The spans for the beams and joists look like they would meet my local code, depending on species (if southern pine, looks OK). I did not see a ledger connection detail, very important to plan and execute the flashing correctly to avoid rot and other unfortunate damage to the house.

Enjoy.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Custom User Title

Rewards Points: 252

Deck Plans-Input wanted

Thank you for the input Daniel. Our code requires railings if the deck is >30". I believe the the highest point should be less than 24".

It seems most people around here put the PT posts right into the ground as I illustrated. I have also see it done as you described and I will change my drawing accordingly.

I'll check into the 4x4 vs. 6x6 post also. It will probably be more stable using a 6x6 anyways. And again, I've seen it done both ways. Which doesn't mean anything really.

The ledger board is going into concrete block. I'm hoping the block isn't hallow. I believe that changes how things will need to be attached. Since its block, it shouldn't need any flashing. I'll be working on the actual detail for that this week sometime.
no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Deck Plans-Input wanted

I would built it free standing but still attach the ledger board to the house. Have two drops beams both two feet from the ends of the deck.
dvatt is offline   Reply With Quote