Deck Pier Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

deck pier question

I am building a playhouse and planning on building it on a 2x8 platform on deck piers. Since its a playhouse I am not anchoring it to the ground or anything like that. After my joists are set on the deck piers is it ok to add shims under the piers to level the platform?

Advertisement

markharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 628

deck pier question

Far better to just set the blocks level.
They need to be sitting on an area that's been dug out to remove all organic matter and back filled with gravel.

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #3

deck pier question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Far better to just set the blocks level.
They need to be sitting on an area that's been dug out to remove all organic matter and back filled with gravel.
Ok as I said this is a playhouse. This is going to be sitting on a concrete pad. So, with that said, what is best way to set the blocks level?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 628

deck pier question

Just take a straight piece of wood that your going to use as a rim joist, set it standing up on the blocks and a 4' level to check it sitting on top of the wood.
If you just set the blocks on top of let's say an old lawn, as the stuff dies under it and rots the blocks are going to sag.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #5

deck pier question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just take a straight piece of wood that your going to use as a rim joist, set it standing up on the blocks and a 4' level to check it sitting on top of the wood.
If you just set the blocks on top of let's say an old lawn, as the stuff dies under it and rots the blocks are going to sag.
If its not level can I shim under the blocks?