Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Deck - Permitting Question

Good Day,

I am new to this site and have a few questions.

1. Would it be appropriate to post my diagram for a quick overview to see if I am offending any codes or making any obvious mistakes?

2. How much flexibility can I expect from the code inspector in the construction process?

Iím build a deck and the chances that I run into a tree root (or two) are great.

Thank you in advance.

Questionmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 8

Absolutely fine to post pictures---also let us know your location as codes do vary by town --state--Provence---

Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply.

This is my first application for a permit and frankly I am not sure how much information I should supply.

I am thinking that if I supply just the min amount, then I will have more flexibility.

The Diagram Explained:
The beams to the rear sit directly on the footing. No Posts.
The tree is in the outcut (hence my question about flexibility with the inspector)
The max height is roughly 40' above ground level (on the far right or front side)

So, to recap, my questions are:

1. What should I including in the permitting request? Am I submitting too much or too little?
2. Can I expect any flexibility from the code inspector? (as it relates to the exact placement of items or lengths)
3. Since I am using PT posts, can I omit the brackets and just place them in the concrete footings?

Thank you again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Deck - Permitting Question-print-image.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf deck_v2_alt.pdf (15.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #4

Most of your questions are location specific. If you can post your location, you will get more specific answers.
Items I have always had to supply:
dimension of framing materials
distance between posts
depth of concrete piers
height of rail and distance between ballisters.
In my area, NE illinois, you can not set the posts in the concrete. Also specific anchors are required to fasten the deck to the house.
I would go to the building dept. and ask them if they have a set of guidlines for building decks. I have built decks in several different communities, and they all have a simple to follow set of parameters.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
DIY staff

Your first stop should be to the local permit office--ask for a deck permit packet.

That should have a list of all drawings needed and a list of specifications.

You haven't let us know where you are---if in the U.S. --posts must be on top of the piers --held with post anchors set into the concrete.

Typically there is a hole inspection----before the concrete is poured---if the holes need to be moved because of a root----get the plan changes approved before you go any further---

The inspector for the holes is only looking at the depth ---a moved support post may not be spotted until the final inspection---and then you will be in a pickle.---Mike---
Old 10-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #6

Sorry, I meant to but I simply forgot.

I am located in Florida, Orlando to be precise.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
DIY staff

Do check with the permit office----another thing to find out---often a deck is taxed if attached to the house with a ledger---but not taxed if 'free standing' and is separated from the house (has piers)

The separation only needs to be 1/2" in this area----Stupid law ---but knowing it can save you money in the years to come----

There are several deck guys here---I bet they will check in after work---Mike---
Old 10-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #8

Great. Thank you. I appreciate any insight.
I am fairly handy and this project should not be a big deal, but I want to have all my i's dotted and t's crossed - to avoid costly mistakes and countless visits to the county office.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
DIY staff

I think you are doing very well---The inspections are not to bad---If you build as well as you draw I'm sure there won't be any big surprises.---Mike---

You will need a side elevation drawing showing joist sizes--guardrail heights and handrails.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Like Mike said, you will need details on the steps including showing the guard heights, railings (4" sphere may not pass, etc).
Probably a site plan, details on framing connections, elevations, etc.
You are under the 2007 Florida Building code, which is probably based on the 2004 IBC and IRC.
Could you turn that planking 90 deg.? I think it would look better but that is just my opinion.
You are using a Chief Architect product, very cool.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
Coconut Pete's paella!

Does your town have a decent website? Mine does and it actually has a Deck Guidelines subsection of the permits page.

When I got mine I gave the guy a drawing like you posted, a framing layout and a materials list (the materials list was overkill, but he could use it to see lumber dimensions at least).

What he then gave me was a little printout of my lot and I actually "drew" the deck w/ a red marker - pretty lo-tech, rather funny.

My first permit ever too but it's pretty easy. Start w/ the town office, they like it when you make it clear to them you want to follow the rules - makes it easier too when they come to inspect it. I had to correct 2 small things on mine after the inspector came. I emailed him to tell him I fixed it along w/ a phone camera pic and he just signed off without ever coming back.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #12

probably have to supply a plot plan also.
rock16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock16 View Post
probably have to supply a plot plan also.
Rock makes a good point as there can be setback restrictions on how close to the property line the deck can be built.
I had a customer who could only build a deck if it was less then 8" off the ground, otherwise with the setback rules, he didn't have enough room in the yard behind the house.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote